IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There was a TV story about assembly of 911 bodies a few years ago.
The factory had a bunch of Turkish immigrants working there, and they would do things like lie on their back and push up on the rear window frame with their feet to get various things to fit properly. They obviously knew what they were doing, but it was a little shocking to see. ;-)

That was a beautiful factory and the Turbo is an amazing engine, but it's huge for the power it produces.

Audi R8 V10 dyno noises - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGCQMlWrens (1:17). Woot! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New ..Then the one for the BMW i-3 might shock a few sensibilities
[Review: impossible sans snark]
.. Re craftsmanship (didn't see any craftswomanship in evidence.) Seems the only biped work there is, scanning the bitchin/and profuse computer screens; looks as if the whole plant could simply run itself with some scripts, save for just a few 'fittings' needing a soupçon of manual dexterity. The human work is mainly using a torque wrench in a few places too arcane for programming the Orange-bots. And some polishing amidst paint-work. [Cthulhu.. Cost of buying, repairing, programming! the bots to a mm, including extricating selves from small cubicles.. must be humongous.]

(Natch , por moi..:-) what I pondered in fascination, was the obvious 'comparo': the vast cost in materials, water/industrial solvents etc. going into a *£28,000 toy: for those with short-commutes [70 miles/charge.. some extension with optional petrol engine add-in] and with deliberate non-Standardization chosen re the very simple charging input connector: cynically to obviate any handy use of a Tesla Station ... anyplace in Die Welt. Zehrgut! Mein Führer

* Per a driving review by a young-innocent, the Leaf costs ~half as much, thus within bounds of the many sans affluenza-affectation, is deemed not-ugly, etc. In both, though: MTBF in mondo Triacs and jillions of other junctions is traded -vs- such (overweight, as you mention) as the 911, though that price-tag is All-affluenza/the ROI being in pursang Vroom-envy Status.
(Mea culpa, even moi could smile on being tagged for 120+ in the Plutocrat.. if'n the Cop was on a Shadow :-)

Wonder what the ROI on the i-3 is, Time-to-amortize the COST, BATTERY replacements, moving-part repairs and for many, financing. [Accident repairs: you'd have to see how this sucker is sandwiched to realize: astronomical labor/parts.] At ~2x The Leaf: seems a huge Mine's Bigger for an ugly car (looks like a Fiesta!) with an expensive 'Bigger'-badge affixed. It's got nothing to do with 'middle-class'utility and much to do with The School for Scoundrels (Alistair Sim.)

Shiny-shinies indeed, fun to watch the gadgetry out-do any human ballet in precision ... but the same-old vulture-Capitalism placement of the 'consumer' and The Planet well beneath the B.O.D. and its traditional plutocrat agenda.

It's becoming an exercise in futility: looking about for any signs..? that CO2 is registering on many radars beyond us cranks and curmudgeons ... save for nodding Knowingly at soirees amidst the Beautiful People, those never imagining to commute anywhere.

(Colin Fletcher, who conserved water in his Carmel digs assiduously, and whose fav phrase was, ..when the balloon goes up) might well have planned--by This time--an arabesque from hiking desiderata: maybe an update of his, The Man from the Cave? (one he discovered walking, of course.) I now much miss his Welsh resignation, so colourfully expounded ..with the occasional Swahili interjection. Blessed are those who expect Nothing, for.. ...
New Re: hand-built vs automated
Anything that can be automated is guaranteed to be more consistent. There are only two reasons to prefer hand assembly:

1) The production run will be too small to amortize the cost of setting up the line.

2) You want to charge more for "hundreds of hours by skilled craftsmen".

Fortunately, small production runs can also be positioned as "exclusivity".
--

Drew
     Assembling the engine for your new Porsche-911 - (Ashton) - (6)
         There was a TV story about assembly of 911 bodies a few years ago. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             ..Then the one for the BMW i-3 might shock a few sensibilities - (Ashton)
             Re: hand-built vs automated - (drook)
         its against the law to exploit minors in the work place -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Thanks; noted. 'Gift exchange' (each gets a Givenchy-whatever + debit card :-) -NT - (Ashton)
         Reminds me of how they make the McLaren. - (static)

Pretty soon you will only have enough parts between you for a single person.
36 ms