IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sounds promising. i7 typo?
The Verge review.

Dell doesn't show me an i7 version - http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5131s&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

The backlit keyboard sounds nice (though it depends on how it's done - I've got an E6400 with a backlit keyboard that shuts off too soon). Being limited to 8 GB bites though - I've got a couple of Toshiba R835s that max out at 8 GB. :-(

The Verge review says their i5 version with the touchscreen only gets about half the claimed battery life. Presumably an i7 is worse. But 6 hours is great compared to maybe 2 from the E6400.

Enjoy! And do let us know how you like it. The high-res screen sounds great (would be better if one could get it without the touch stuff though. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nope, no typo.
i7-5500U.

Edit: your inferior colonial Dell is only showing i5s. Superior imperial Dell shows better configuration choice: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

Also, 8GB is actually about twice as much as I need for the intended use-case - sofasurfing and mobile photo processing. Remember, since Vista, Windows has been getting more memory-efficient, not less (unlike a certain Cupertino-based OS we could mention, where things are so bad they had to put a memory compressor wossname in it) and Windows 8 onward will run very happily in 2-3GB.

Lightroom is CPU-bound (hence my selection of the i7) and tends to top out at 3GB used (it's Photoshop CC that loves RAM like a survivalist from Montana loves guns and tinned food).

You know, you don't have to touch it :p
Expand Edited by pwhysall Feb. 14, 2015, 04:22:19 AM EST
New Yeah...
I know, I don't have to touch it. But it's one more layer between the pixels and one's eyes. (I've seen touch screens on phones where you can see the touch sensors pretty easily if the angle is just right.) Plus, $500 for the screen?!?

The 8GB issue isn't the OS. It's the stuff you want to do with it. I've got Chrome, Thunderbird, SumatraPDF, and a couple of tiny things running on this R835 i5 with 8 GB (Win7 Home), and I'm using 6.72 GB of physical RAM. With a 1366 x 768 display. I've already maxed it out (I just replaced the DVD drive with a second 512 GB SSD).

Plus, who was reminding us that when you're pushing lots of pixels, you really need lots of dedicated video memory? ;-) I assume the XPS 13 is just using the integrated HD 5500 graphics which uses system RAM. No doubt it's reasonably fast and clever, but it'll still be eating the system RAM.

Plus, there's the antivirus/antispyware/etc. abortions that Winders users need to run all the time. :-/

All that said, it does sound like a nice machine. Apple should be worried about it. Especially with an i7. Looking forward to your review!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Dell XPS 13 ordered - (pwhysall) - (6)
         Sounds promising. i7 typo? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Nope, no typo. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yeah... - (Another Scott)
         Got it. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Sounds like a nice box. Enjoy! -NT - (Another Scott)
             Sounds fab. - (static)

It's spelled "LRPD", but it's pronounced "mumble"!
40 ms