IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But that is how it was reported at the time
The letter below made it to the NY Times Editor, but I can't recall that information ever coming back into the news cycle in Continental Europe. Things just kept going forward as the conflict developed.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/07/03/opinion/l-aluminum-s-not-to-blame-for-warship-loss-251244.html
It's unfortunate, but understandable, that the fast-paced action of war often leads to erroneous reports of what is actually happening. The continuing circulation of misinformation concerning the sinking of H.M.S. Sheffield and H.M.S. Coventry in the Falkland Islands conflict is an example.

A number of media continue to report that H.M.S. Sheffield had an aluminum superstructure. This is alleged to have led to the sinking of the ship after it was struck by an Argentine Exocet missile.
New And no one likes to spoil a good story.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     interesting $60 per hour to work on steel $120 an hr to work on aluminum - (boxley) - (11)
         It's quite more malleable; takes more skill not to ruin it. Sounds a bargain. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
             eh? having made copper etchings as a tad - (boxley)
         Audi used to make the A8 from aluminum - (malraux) - (8)
             Also, you can't apply solder or lead to Aluminum. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 But, there is aluminum brazing. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     MIG (MGAW) welding works well on aluminum. - (hnick) - (1)
                         I learned to do that in metalwork at school - (pwhysall)
             HMS Sheffield - (gcareaga) - (3)
                 Nice theory, not true. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     But that is how it was reported at the time - (scoenye) - (1)
                         And no one likes to spoil a good story. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

He's so far to the right of the bell curve he could drop a marble and it wouldn't roll away.
59 ms