IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New E.g.
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows-8-disappointing-usability/

Or (in Win7) go to Control Panel Home. View by Category. See a list of things with icons and text. Select System and Security. On the left side is a text listing of things that are sorta like tabs. On the right side is a list with text and icons of sub-items. All of them are selected with a single click.

If you go to Devices and Printers, you see a bunch of printer icons, etc. To do anything with them, you double-click them (or right click on them) even if they're displayed in Small icons mode (with an icon and text).

A lot of the changes seem gratuitous. "New and different! You buy now!!"

Yeah, everyone else (Android, OS X, etc.) is on the same bandwagon. Doesn't mean it's good. ;-)

My $0.02.

Gotta run.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's not confusing.
The blue stuff is all verbs.

"Review..."

"Check..."

"Protect..."

The green words are categories. Point at them, mouse pointer turns into the clicky finger, you now know you can click it.

Icons behave like icons - they don't get the clicky finger, so you double- or right-click them, like always.

No, this is not confusing or difficult.

Neilsen is often technically correct (the best kind of correct!), but not many people pay much attention to him these days.

Whilst it's true that everyone else could be wrong and you could be right - personally, when I find myself in that situation, I tend to challenge the everloving shit out of my own position, because being wrong is something I'm good at.

Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 27, 2015, 11:15:49 AM EST
New Windows Control Panel: Often Reimagined, Never Finished
MS has habit of redesigning or reorganizing the control panel with every major release. But they only focus on the "core experiences", which often means the same functionality gets reworked over and over, and the rest is left untouched and poking out in awkward places.
New Win 7 rework of P&D was already a disaster
It used to be one printer, one icon. That became an icon per device port. (E.g. if you have multiple queues for a device, you only get one icon hiding all the queues.) First impression is "where have half my printers gone"?! Next up is the default queue flag. It shows, but it could be any queue in the icon stack, not necessarily the one who lent its name to the icon. Lovely.

And the context menu is all messed up as well. Gone is the single properties item that brought up all the printer and device controls. There are now two properties entries, plus a printer preferences entry. You have to become very familiar with what is hiding where to pull up the right one.
New Yup. :-(
     Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (pwhysall) - (21)
         Hope you survive with sanity intact. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
             I did! - (pwhysall) - (16)
                 Free is good. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Make money? - (pwhysall) - (14)
                         mostly agree - (boxley) - (8)
                             At least as of W2K, the start menu was configurable. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                 As it is on W10. I find the W7 start menu horrifically limiting. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     Resolution? I'll give you Dell screen resolution! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         On PowerShell - (pwhysall)
                                         That's bizarre - (pwhysall)
                                     Huh. - (static) - (2)
                                         Re: Huh. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             I can already see the difference. - (static)
                         E.g. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             That's not confusing. - (pwhysall)
                             Windows Control Panel: Often Reimagined, Never Finished - (altmann)
                             Win 7 rework of P&D was already a disaster - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Yup. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (andread) - (2)
             Not everyone is excited about it. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 ah, tablet too big to put in your pocket and cant receive phone calls -NT - (boxley)

At the tone, please leave a message. *beep*
66 ms