IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: So you think your $WORK_APP is user hostile?
CRS - computer reservation system. Yep, they're ass.

They're mainframes typically front-ended with a Tandem. The Tandem intermediates to the backend.

I spent a good number of years writing GUI applications that would submit commands like that automatically.

That was a long time ago or I might be able to tell you which CRS that was, although given where you live it's likely Amadeus.

The command gets a fare quote for a set of flights: depart 15 of March from Heathrow to JFK, then to Dulles on the 20th, then back to Blighty on the 20th of April with a stopover at JFK. Looks like J class seating over the Atlantic, whatever that is for British Airways, and C class (coach) in the States on American. Dunno what the -- is.

We used to use fare quotes as part of an automated internet booking system we were writing.

CRS commands are bad... they only thing I've seen approaching them for complexity are Bloomberg terminal commands.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
Expand Edited by malraux Jan. 26, 2015, 06:24:56 PM EST
Expand Edited by malraux Jan. 26, 2015, 06:25:51 PM EST
New Ding!
It's Amadeus.

FQPLHR/ABA/CJ/D15MARJFK/AAA /CC/D20MARIAD--JFK/ABA/CJ/D20APRLHR

This will: Display pricing departing LHR on 15 March on BA class J to JFK and in AA class C on 20 March to IAD. Returning from JFK in BA on class J on 20 April to LHR

Dwarf Fortress is easier to learn and more forgiving than Amadeus terminal.

New Easier to use were:
The COBOL record formats we used to speak to the Tandems via the API, instead of using the command line shee.

There's something very wrong when a machine format is easier on the eyes.

I suspect I have no desire to play this "Dwarf Fortress"...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Wonder if he can do the shapes example
--

Drew
New Bet he can't.
New ascii games? Do i need a 286 or are they portable?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New People say vi is user-hostile, too.
That thread is interesting. Good discussion about why these sorts of UIs are still extant and probably aren't going away anytime soon.

Wade.
New Maybe.
Speaking from a management-dork point of view: I don't want programmers who can type 100WPM.

I want programmers whose approach and thinking means we don't end up doing 3 months work over again, because their awesomefastly typed code was a metric arseload of arse. But they're great at vi! Or emacs, or whatever the fuck.

We've just bid a job (which we expect to win) where the end-to-end design/build/test/integrate/deploy lifecycle is nine months.

Exciting? Yes.

Room in the programme for J. Random SupertypistProgrammer to miss the point and write a massive boatload of code that doesn't meet the spec? No.

I mean, if we can get a programmer who's got Amazing Editor Skillz as well as being a clear thinker who reads the specs before starting, that'd be cool, but really, I don't care if they type their code into Notepad (or TextEdit, or nano) with a stick mounted on their head.
New eh? that isnt how you do it
get on the intartubes find stuff that does 80%+ of what you need then glue it together. No one programs any more, they patch
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Not clear
Are you implying that 9 months is an exceptionally long time for a project, or an exceptionally short time?
--

Drew
New Yep, no time at all.
It's a huge amount of functionality to get from zero to hero.

Bonus fun: we're working with a number of subcontractors who are all bringing their own shee to the party.

Integration testing is going to be hilarious.

For someone else :D
New Ecch, subcontractors ... don't get me started
--

Drew
New Really missed my point.
Dense, cryptic UI persists in all manner of places.

The first skill I would look for in a programmer is also not their typing speed, or their preferred editor. Neither quality would even come up on the checklist, not even after their hired! Unless, they're glacially slow or something.

Wade.
     So you think your $WORK_APP is user hostile? - (pwhysall) - (16)
         use the app AAA to manipulate file D20APRLHR ? - (boxley) - (1)
             No. - (pwhysall)
         Re: So you think your $WORK_APP is user hostile? - (malraux) - (13)
             Ding! - (pwhysall) - (12)
                 Easier to use were: - (malraux) - (11)
                     ORLY? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         Wonder if he can do the shapes example -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             Bet he can't. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         ascii games? Do i need a 286 or are they portable? -NT - (boxley)
                     People say vi is user-hostile, too. - (static) - (6)
                         Maybe. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                             eh? that isnt how you do it - (boxley)
                             Not clear - (drook) - (2)
                                 Yep, no time at all. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Ecch, subcontractors ... don't get me started -NT - (drook)
                             Really missed my point. - (static)