IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yup
If one is set up as a wifi hotspot, you can probably use any number of services to connect. No, I've never tried.

[edit]

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/9727/can-i-use-2-android-phones-as-walkie-talkie-without-internet
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Jan. 14, 2015, 01:28:20 PM EST
New The idea is that
No other services are reachable, given the geography. I wondered about the native abilities of the phones. Perhaps, potentially (for I am thinking in that direction) some future hyper-Bluetooth.

cordially,
New Nextel is/was close, but not what you're looking for.
They had/have (I can't say) a separate network so that you could use your phone as a walkie-talkie, but the two phones still had to be in the same iDEN network.
New Cell phones are fancy multi-band digital radios.
They can transmit and receive all by their lonesome. All that is necessary to do what you want (have two cell phones talk to each other without a base station, cell tower, etc.) is the appropriate software. Carriers often lock things down (e.g. try to prohibit VOIP), so usually it's not easy, but the hardware is capable of doing what you want.

At least as I understand it. :-)

OpenGarden may do what you want right now. Dunno.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Check the links in the first answer on the StackExchange link I posted
There are two apps listed (for Android, I assume there's similar for iPhone) that do what you want.
--

Drew
     hypothetical question re cellphones - (rcareaga) - (7)
         FireChat can use Bluetooth. - (Another Scott)
         Yup - (drook) - (4)
             The idea is that - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 Nextel is/was close, but not what you're looking for. - (mmoffitt)
                 Cell phones are fancy multi-band digital radios. - (Another Scott)
                 Check the links in the first answer on the StackExchange link I posted - (drook)
         thanks, all - (rcareaga)

The Men In Black have been bendin' my ear.
142 ms