IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's fine as far as it goes.
Egypt has been ruled by thinly veiled generals since Nasser's day. Except when the Brotherhood was briefly in charge. IIRC, one of the reasons why things fell apart when the Brotherhood ruled is that the Army was working behind the scenes to strangle the economy.

Pointing to al-Sisi as an important player is certainly true. However, it's important to remember all the baggage he brings with him. It's easy for a general to point at religious leaders and say "look - you have to fix this problem" when a lot of Egypt's (and Arab Muslims') problems are the direct result of the history of military rule there.

The Brotherhood didn't appear out of nowhere. They were (at least in part) a reaction to military rule in Egypt. The Brotherhood was the incubator of al Qaeda and lots of other nasty groups.

Isn't it a bit disconcerting to you that the first few dozen hits in a Google search for "al sisi muslim leaders peace" (without the quotes) is mainly links to RWNJ sites like DailyCaller and PJMedia??

"A Titan for Freedom!!"

"Does al-Sisi Deserve the Nobel Peace Prize??"

Why not pick a story from al Arabiya instead?

Gotta run.

Cheers,
Scott.
New well since I invoked Godwin my last post :-) besides Obama has a nobel why not sisi?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New How do you "invoke" Godwin's Law?
Answer: you don't.

It's an observation, nothing more.

/pedant
New "Pedant" is just a nice word grammar Nazis use to describe themselves
--

Drew
New I see what you did there...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Think you're missing the salient point.
Not important that he is another in a long series of questionable accessions in a State with a political process quite as inimical to basic principles of "democratic rule" as our own, or even how poorly he handles the Power. He is a credentialed Muslim. No Infidel could suggest that Imams, their madrassas cease teaching that Jihad is acceptable behavior on this planet. It may well be that no one can cause these to cease their incitements to the young, especially the paupers with no prospects: except tp escape from here to the fantasy-world.

The Very Idea! that: anyone alive--Not a Muslim--is an Infidel who may be assassinated (and earn praise for the act!) means that Islam is Exceptional to the rules of civilized other societies: who also outnumber and out-gun them. (No wonder the West's fears of Iran + Bomb, though we dare not say: because you will Use it). I remain mystified as to Why every literate Muslim cannot see the implications of being labeled an Infidel who may be killed and his murderer rewarded. This is not absence of empathy; it's absence of a functioning mind or conscience or both.

Finally one of Theirs has here tried to tell them the obvious; Muslims merely need to look at the collateral damage of all our wars to determine what we are capable of, and all know that we have the nukes to proceed. Ergo, personally, I don't care if al-Sisi is as rapacious as the Koch brothers, the entire US Financial tribe or all those now-wealthy U.S. 'Representatives': he has here attempted to educate the people who have created a welcoming environment for assassins. Barbarian is the universal epithet for that mind-set.

I see no way out of a permanently intransigent Islam, except what always we do. (And then we shall join them in perpitude: for a toss-up whether weather does us in before? we start with nukes and the Pakistan-supplied retaliations.) I'm convinced: that the species IS that crazy, especially when one side has all the destructive power just sitting around, waiting to justify the n $Ts it cost over the last 70 years. One more mini-Towers episode or less--is all the primer it needs.

Don't you Get that? [But will a %significant of Imams + followers Get that?]

May the combination of fallout from this atrocity AND al-Sisi's comments prove synergistic [if any key Imam even heard of it..]

Carrion, Homo-Seppuku.
New Maybe.
On the other hand, ...

Our understanding of such relations between civilizations stems from the basic principles of Islam, that considers belief in former Divine Messages as a prerequisite for sound faith in Islam.... The Holy Qur'an also confirms that religion can never serve as grounds for clash by saying, ``There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error.'' This also shows that relationships among civilizations and nations are one of dialogue rather than one of conflict, as shown by the following verses, ``O mankind Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another.'' And, ``Argue ye not [with the People of the Scripture] except in the better ways.'' Thus, from a proper Islamic perspective, Muslims' belief in the universality of Islam does not imply the exclusive singularity of Islamic civilization in the world nor its supremacy over other civilizations. It rather means interaction with these civilizations and emphasis that plurality of civilizations and diversity of cultures are the normal state of affairs.

This Islamic concept of universality is based on the fact that plurality, diversity, and variance are the rule and the law and that interaction with other civilizations is the proper median position between isolation and subordination. The experience of history confirms this vision that we much cherish, in identifying relations between civilizations. The Arab Islamic civilization rose not to supersede, but rather to complement and advance oriental heritage.
- President Hosni Mubarak, President of Egypt, November 2, 2001 - Madrid, Spain - http://www.schillerinstitute.org/dialogue_cultures/mubarak_11_01.html

Platitudes from Egyptian dictators are easy. I don't see much benefit in joining people on the outside that I disagree with on most issues (i.e. the RWNJs) in applauding their wisdom and foresight and .... Al-Sisi and the DailyCaller aren't my compatriots.

But, maybe I am missing the point. Oh well.

FWIW. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, I share that POV (also too..)
Wise words from both.. but we see that 13+ years later: there's ISIS and a new crop of despairing youn'uns whose ripeness for a fantasy escape transcends even their will to live. Hosni got ejected.. to be replaced with ... ...

It may be that, even if al-Sisi's more contemporary Wake-Up shall fall on premeditatedly deaf-ears too. No surprise there. But the focus on TEACHING is a lot more specific than the POV of Mubarak, and even there, al-S. doesnt Say This this simply, either.

What I see is that the MMO is There: awaitng only the last "Opportunity" to self-justify something like a pogrom, especially if (everyone's! Inner-nazi becomes stoked by escalating ISIS atrocities plus further success, compounded by planetary and Econ clusterfucks throughout the Rich slabs of land.

If Islam hews to Shrub-grade Stubbornness (about its emphases on the (inner-Nazi passages in that Quran) for the foreseeable? I have no doubt that there is enough corruption to go around and our own Western 'Swansee' secret confab for the demonstration of superior Power ... remains quite within that deck of failed-thus-far diplomatic cards.

(The whole techno-revolution is about speeding-up all Normal processes, as if for 'convenience' and higher profits) via Corporations eating the profits of that ever-rising efficiency curve: The casualty is, IMO the loss of patience on all fronts: for those s l o w processes of (civilizing even 'our Own'. I see a huge crap-shoot in the offing.

Hope I'm Rilly-wrong! about that Solution as opens up a new Tier in The Inferno, never envisaged by Dante :-/

We Begin--at Best--by greatly reducing Our nukes as the final carrot re. Iran.. also de-FUZING of India's/Paki's hysterical hair triggers: all at Once. If any Statesmen still exist anywhere. You can't force-ration these planet-killers for everyone-but-Yourself. That's Basic Reptile-brain Fact, I wot.

:-) :-/ == crap. shoot. Danger + Opportunity etc.

Ed: oTyp
Expand Edited by Ashton Jan. 9, 2015, 06:27:15 PM EST
     the moderate muslim - (boxley) - (58)
         Succinct and.. simply Astounding! ..while so Very-long overdue. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re: exceptions to the first amendment - (drook) - (1)
                 Delayed incitement isn't. - (Another Scott)
         Pointing to Egypt's al-Sisi as a good guy is a stretch... - (Another Scott) - (16)
             So if Nixon told Billy Graham to tone down anti gay rhetoric, it would be a bad thing? -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                 So, if Nixon locked up all the Democratic leaders and told them to be nice... -NT - (Another Scott) - (13)
                     So if Clinton locked up all the repos leaders and told them to be nice - (boxley) - (12)
                         al-Sisi locked up his opponents then told them to play nice. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
                             ah so Sisi is a bad guy, people who like jews published his statement on Islam - (boxley) - (10)
                                 No. That's not my view. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                     I will address 3, 1&2 are not part of Islam - (boxley) - (8)
                                         That's fine as far as it goes. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                             well since I invoked Godwin my last post :-) besides Obama has a nobel why not sisi? -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 How do you "invoke" Godwin's Law? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                     "Pedant" is just a nice word grammar Nazis use to describe themselves -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                         I see what you did there... -NT - (malraux)
                                             Think you're missing the salient point. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 Maybe. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     No, I share that POV (also too..) - (Ashton)
             He doesn't get a free pass just because he said something utterly-Sane, once - (Ashton)
         Along the lines of, "Hitch was right all along". - (mmoffitt) - (34)
             OK.. gantlet sorta run.. ... weird species, overall. - (Ashton) - (30)
                 Friday's Invisibilia - The Locked-in Man - (Another Scott) - (29)
                     I think that many have had that Wondering.. - (Ashton)
                     Religion precludes treatment. - (mmoffitt) - (27)
                         Are you say Waco was handled well for what was going on? -NT - (drook) - (26)
                             Not at all. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                 Tell me where we draw the cult/not-a-cult line, and we'll talk. - (Another Scott) - (24)
                                     They can choose, Islam or here. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                                         That's half of it - (drook) - (5)
                                             504c of coure, how else are you going to make money? -NT - (boxley)
                                             "Treat [them] with ridicule, hatred and contempt." - Chris Hitchens. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                 Hitch would disagree with you, I think... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Probably. - (mmoffitt)
                                                 Berkeley '60s: curb your Dogma.. Hey! many did (did they regress?) - (Ashton)
                                         You've been away from believers for too long. - (static) - (16)
                                             I don't believe it. I believe they're lying. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                                 How's that faith-based life treating you? - (drook) - (13)
                                                     What exists in your first 3 that doesn't in the last? A: Evidence. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                         Missing my point (intentionally?) - (drook) - (2)
                                                             If they actually believe it, they've been conned. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 Religious education starts at age 0. -NT - (malraux)
                                                         why do you care? - (boxley) - (8)
                                                             Because Islam is teaching the lesser minds that if somebody draws a picture, you should kill them. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                 no, islam is not teaching that, Nut jobs are teaching that to poorly educated muslims -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                                     Really? Even at Oxford? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                         " this is just a pure betrayal of our religion and our principles, that that’s not acceptable" -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                             Right. Followed by, "But ..." -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                 "But by any, any standard, we have to condemn what was done, and say it clearly: " -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                     He claims to understand why they did it in my quote. He's equally culpable. Platitudes aside. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                     So then, having seen the vid. of Tariq Ramadan -vs-HItchens, - (Ashton)
                                                 What Drew said. - (static)
             Lawyers call it "leading the witness". - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Isn't that what all religions and their adherents do? -NT - (mmoffitt)
             "What Normal Muslims Think -..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim... - (CRConrad)
         What Atrios said. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Yes, that too.. but as one poster replied: - (Ashton)
         Two more "moderate" Muslims. - (mmoffitt)

Right here in River City!
95 ms