The fact that there is a dog-eared copy of the policy sitting right next to the register won't get very high. The employees who know usually aren't able to get the attention of whoever should care about this. Put another way, there are too many layers of management between those who know and those who should know. If the USPS is still wholly owned by your Federal government, you could go bug your local Federal Congressman about it, I guess.

The other problem is unsigned cards - how do you control that? If the USPS was serious about controlling fraud via unsigned cards, they would have their own database of unsigned cards and refuse to honour them even after they're signed unless they check a signature another way. This, of course, is a considerable undertaking! Another way to battle that is for card issuers to require a visit in-person to pick up a card at which point you must sign it or they won't enable it. Unfortunately, this would put the onus on the card-issuers for fraud and theft, which, as everyone knows, they are most unwilling to take on.

Out of curiosity, I've been watching for when clerks doing an Amex transaction compare my signature with that on my card. AFAICS, most of them don't. I think it might be time to move away from hand-written-signature verification technology, but the prospective replacements do not seem to be inspiring confidence in their privacy and security qualities.

Wade.