IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New pre-run checking?
I wonder if anybody has used "suspicion detectors" with any scripting (interpreted) languages, and could comment on their experience. These would be a Lint-like inspection utility that would warn the programmer of potential problems.

For example:

x = grog()
foobar = zarg()
y = x + fobar

It should be fairly easy to give warning that "fobar" has not been assigned to anywhere. (It is a typo in this case).
It isn't very sophisticated, but "use strict;" always goes into my code and catches most of my typos. I know that I should turn warnings on, but I don't for a number of stupid reasons. (I use modules that themselves cause errors, and I have avoided the 5.6.x series, so I don't have warnings.pm.)

It is pretty basic, but useful. For full details on how it works I suggest typing "perldoc strict".

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     pre-run checking? - (tablizer) - (1)
         Perl has a simple one - (ben_tilly)

She has not, incidentally, allowed this episode to turn her into an anti-cucumber crusader.
103 ms