IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, that would help. But maybe not much.
The update that the 28 kB fix removed broke VirtualBox 4.3.20 (error code 1 on trying to start a VM). Installing the 28 kB fix fixed the problem for me (without having to reinstall VBox).

More here - apparently the bad fix was mucking around in some some sort of security sandbox.

I hate Winders... :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wait, they have a fix to start up virtual box again?
I've been trying to do that for ages. I don't see any 28 kB downloads scheduled. I haven't tried VB in a while. Maybe it's worth trying to reinstall.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New VBox 4.3.20 on Win7 hosts works fine for me.
My step-mom is using it on OS X Yosemite to run a Win7 VM and it works fine for her too.

A Winders Update on 12/10 broke starting VirtualBox on Win7 hosts for me. The 28kB Winders Update issued on 12/12 fixed it for me.

Hope this is clear. :-) Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: VBox 4.3.20 on Win7 hosts works fine for me.
I just downloaded it and ran the install. It failed to create a com object and terminated. This is worse than before. I used to be able to install it but it wouldn't come up because it couldn't find an interface. That still seems to be the case with the new one. Box suggested installing an interface, but I have no clue how to begin.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Ack!
The system wanted to recover after I rebooted and my ViewSonic LED screen now has a greenish tint to it. It's like red is suppressed. This sucks. Anybody have any thoughts?
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Never mind...
I pulled the plugs on everything, pulled the battery on the laptop, went out to get a sandwich, and when I came back everything came up approximately normal.
Windows sucks.
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Weird.
Agreed on the last. :-(

I was getting some data off a couple of hard drives from a PC that died via an IDE to USB interface on my work PC a week or two ago. Everything was going Ok until I tried to get a clicking drive to start up again. No go, no go. I figured I had nothing to lose so I opened the drive and spun the platter around while it was trying to power up. To my amazement, it eventually spun up and Winders got about 2/3 of the way toward recognizing it, but didn't assign it a drive letter. At that point, the Winders desktop locked up. I gave it a few minutes, then didn't have much of a choice but to turn the PC off.

I turned the bad drive off, but left the USB interface attached, and rebooted.

The work PC then wouldn't boot up. Or it did, but it was ungodly slow. Even getting through the BIOS screen was ungodly slow. I thought, "Uh oh! What have I done now!" An hour or so of troubleshooting followed...

Long story short, it was trying to boot off the non-existent USB hard drive first. Unplugging the USB hard drive interface from the PC returned everything to normal.

I'd like to have that hour back, and all the earlier ones wasted on things like that. :-(

Sorry that VBox isn't being nice to you. :-( It has almost always been pretty painless for me. I was using 4.3.10 before I upgraded to 4.3.20 - I haven't tried to put 4.3.20 on a new machine, myself, but I don't know why it wouldn't work as 4.3.10 did.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's such a monolith.
Of course, it always was. But it is now even more so.

Related: got another cheap second-hand laptop. Came with Windows 8.0... okay, let's upgrade since 8.1 is free. Took _hours_. Like about 5. So many places it seemed to be "stuck", but no, it was actually Doing Stuff. But in true Microsoft fashion, never told you any detail about what it was doing.

Wade.
     Winders wants to reboot to install a 28 kB update. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Interesting . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             It's to fix an update from a couple of days ago. - (Another Scott)
         I just wish the updates were more descriptive. - (static) - (8)
             Yeah, that would help. But maybe not much. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 Wait, they have a fix to start up virtual box again? - (hnick) - (5)
                     VBox 4.3.20 on Win7 hosts works fine for me. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         Re: VBox 4.3.20 on Win7 hosts works fine for me. - (hnick) - (3)
                             Ack! - (hnick) - (2)
                                 Never mind... - (hnick) - (1)
                                     Weird. - (Another Scott)
                 It's such a monolith. - (static)

Your Bork God[tm] is HERE!
45 ms