IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's a great show.
The finale.

Still, one would like to have more time to read!!

Of course, retirement is no solution. My dad joked shortly after he retired that the needed to get a part-time job so that he would have some free time...

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's it.. but not Pleasence !? [Also: Rod Serling pdf]
Brain-fart I guess.. I may have missed intro to this episode, but he's not-Donald P.!
Would also do fine as henpecked Walter Mitty.

Confess too, that monkey brain went all.. tut-tut old chap!
Recollect where the opticians used to be, in your little slice of pre-Murica America [couldn't have put it That way, then, of course.]
Even if crawling through the wreckage to such oases would Take Time: he Had it. (And some canned goods along the way--takes calories to keep reading-brain stoked.
Whatever bizarre formula was in those goggles, stacking together any old "glasses" should have made it possible to try for a better match, even elsewhere.
As an omnivorous reader--I further extrapolated--probably Mr. Beemis had some basic knowledge of how his glasses worked, eh?

OTOH that same monkey-mind got us Huey Long, Murdoch, Kristol and .. Twitter--each and every--thieves of Time to Read (or any other worthwhile affliction.)
I hoped that this was Serling's little Wake-Up Call, sufficiently cute to sneak past the censors (wondered about essays on that theme re this episode.)
Found this pdf of a Serling Conference at Ithaca ... for a start.

In 1967, Serling first lectured to the students in my class. He enjoyed the experience of interacting with students and he asked me to invite him again. The following year, he was appointed a visiting professor. In that capacity, he taught a one-credit course twice a year. When his schedule allowed it, he would tackle a three-credit course in dramatic writing. The essential elements of his teaching were, of course, creativity, imagination, and the never ending twists and turns in telling a story. “Don’t assume that the current norm shall be your norm,” Rod advised the students. His many students remember him fondly and I often receive emails and comments on how he affected their lives and their outlook.

Rod Serling was very much a part of Ithaca College, . . .friend . . .colleague . . .teacher . . . celebrity-in residence . . . benefactor, although Rod would certainly have disdained the last appellation.

And there was Rod, the television critic. To quote from a lecture to students: “God, how this multi-billion dollar industry can labor so mightily and produce a mouse – and sometimes programming that even a self respecting mouse would find difficult to swallow and keep down. Television gets worse every season even the networks are beginning to blush in living color.”

“It may well be that the level of entertainment may be dictated by the level of commercials. I think it’s a fact that there are a sizable army of yahoos, bunco artists and fast-buck Bible salesmen who are instrumental in achieving – if that’s the word – the artistic levels reached by most current commercials. How do you put on a meaningful drama or documentary that is adult, incisive, probing, when every fifteen minutes the proceedings are interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits with toilet paper?”

As Rod’s friend Dick Berg said, “Even near death, Rod was determined to share his hospital experiences from the intensive care room. One afternoon in May, while still convalescing from his first heart attack, Rod asked a hospital attendant for his tape recorder. His sense of drama keener than ever, he was unable to resist an impulse to do the thing he did so well, and that was to begin another story. Specifically, the story of Rod Serling confronting the awesome matter of his mortality. “

November '59! Le plus sâ change ... meme chose.
Lastly--this skit rammed-home *Then*, instantly: the insanity of M.A.D. {duh} its utter absurdity--rendered Stark to any with nom. physics-sense--and the scariest aspect of all: that millions believed in the rationale for planet-fucking devices, in the name of s e c u r i t y . . . ?

This was just 2 years after Sputnik; I 'had' a couple pieces of machined U (238) with sharp edges: pyrophoric! is U: strike these edges and see SPARKS. How's That for a Reminder? (even non-'nuclear'.) Decade later, joined some cohorts picketing LBL-Livermore (Friend decided to twit-further, got self arrested to Santa Rita, etc.) I demurred on that; she was younger; different zeitgeist. Visited across fenced-in yard later. Crazy Times. Like now. And next?

Yup: Incorrigibles: most of the population, then as now. Consumption.. it's not just a 'nick for tuberculosis anymore. But it's still a wasting-disease.
New Burgess Meredith.
Wikipedia. I mainly know him from playing the Penguin on the Batman TV series. ;-)

Indeed he (and Roddenberry and a few others) pushed the envelope and we're better for it. Thanks for the linky.

You need to get crackin' on that memoir!! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
     "Stalin" by Stephen Kotkin - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Sounds good. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             "Ah, to have infinite time to read all the interesting books out there!" - (Ashton) - (3)
                 That's a great show. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     That's it.. but not Pleasence !? [Also: Rod Serling pdf] - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Burgess Meredith. - (Another Scott)
         well he was from georgia - (boxley)

Coming soon to an LRPD near you.
74 ms