IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nexus 4 post upgrade question.
So, I upgraded the OS of my Nexus 4 some time last week. Since I've been running Android 5.0 I've noticed a rather non-trivial problem. At first, I thought I was imagining things (I was out of state and not charging the phone like I had been since I got it) but now that I've been back at the office a couple of days, I'm certain my battery life has been cut by more than one half since I upgraded. I leave the thing plugged into my PC most of the day at work (USB trickle charge). I leave at 5pm or thereabouts with a full charge. I used the phone all of about 10 minutes last night and it was stone cold dead by 8:00 AM this morning when I plugged it back into my work computer. Before the upgrade, a full charge arising from a USB trickle charge at work would last two to three days with normal use of the device. This damned thing will not hold a charge for 16 hours anymore even with light use.

Anybody seen similar behavior?

TIA.

--Mikem
New The battery life on mine seems much improved.
I only charge mine overnight. The battery used to be down to ~ 8% when I got home, now it usually has more than 50%.

It did act a little squirrely early on until I rebooted it a couple of times. Have you done that? (I guess you must have at least once if it was totally dead.)

Supposedly they fixed a "miscellaneous" battery drain when WiFi is enabled with an update - http://www.cnet.com/news/google-squashes-android-5-0-lollipop-battery-drain-bug/

About Phone just tells me I'm running 5.0. The Kernel is:
3.4.0-perf-g60eefcd
android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1
Fri Oct 10 18:28:38 UTC 2014

Build number
LRX21T

Hope it's something simple. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks. Did you turn on the battery saver mode?
I left my set to the default ("never").

You and I are running the exact same build. Formerly, if I left Friday at 5pm on full charge, I would be down to 6-8% by Monday morning with no additional charging over the week-end. I don't use the thing very much. Phone calls and texting mostly with only very occasional email/web. The only game I play is chess and that's not every day. Still, a guy I work with says he's always charging his, but uses it much more frequently than I and plays a lot of games. So maybe I was just lucky up until now.

I'm very much looking forward to the day I have no mobile device at all. If family didn't insist, I wouldn't have one now. ;0)

New Not intentionally.
Everything is configured as it was on 4.4.4 I can't use WiFi at work, but I don't have it turned off.

Let's see...

Battery Saver is Off, Turn on automatically is Never.

I mostly use it for Pimlical A. I only get a couple of calls a week, I play "Blitz" a few times a month, look at IWT on it a few times a month, text a few times a month, Google Maps a few times a month. I used 372 MB of data last month. I'm not a heavy user at all.

These are complicated boxes - it's amazing they work as well as they do.

I hope it settles down for you.

I'm very much looking forward to the day I have no mobile device at all.

I feel that way too, sometimes. Vacationing in the middle of nowhere once in a while is a nice change.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Device Assist?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/03/have-you-tried-turning-it-off-and-on-again-googles-device-assist-recommends-device-reboots-while-theres-still-no-reboot-option-in-stock-android/

We all know that sometimes a device reboot fixes stuff, but Google would never admit to that. Android is supposed to run constantly and keep things in order as it's designed to, but the new Device Assist app finally lays all the cards on the table. The top suggestion (and for some, the only suggestion) is reboot your phone. Dammit, Google.

[...]

I just installed it. It doesn't suggest anything for me.

There is a "Contact Support" button at the end of the main screen. Maybe that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting.
It says, "Try using a wall charger." My phone is plugged into my PC at the moment and indicates full charge. I unplugged it from the PC and it says, "Looking good! Your device is in good shape. No suggestions now!" That's funny, because the only way people can hear me during a phone call (this started with one of the 4.x upgrades) is if I put the phone on speaker. But, that's not an issue with the phone I guess. ;0)

Thanks for the input!

--Mikem
New A wall charger will charge it faster than USB.
There are standards for charging a device via it's USB port with way more current than a computer's USB port can provide. My Xperia charges noticeably faster with the wall wart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

Wade.
New Some PCs, too.
My PC, ifI install the Asus toolkit software for the motherboard, has USB Turbo Hyper Whateverthefuck charging from specific ports - i.e. delivering 1 or 2A, rather than the usual 500mA.
New Understood.
But IME, the slower USB/trickle charge used to result in the battery lasting longer. A full charge at 5pm is now stone dead by 8am the next day with no use of the device at all. That's new for me.
New Won't make any difference
Modern batteries have brains that will not let you over-charge or fully discharge them (they announce they're "empty" at ~20% of actual charge capacity, frexample) because both scenarios are profoundly deleterious to the health of a li-poly battery pack.

Review the Android battery use contraption. Something is not right on your phone.
New Yup, something's wonky.
My Nexus 4 was unplugged from the wall charger around 8:30 AM. It now shows 91% with 18 hours left.

Google Services 3%
VPN Unlimited 1%
Android OS 1%
Sirius XM 1%
Gmail 1%

I've got an HSPA signal on T-Mobile, maybe 75% of the bars. WiFi shows a gray indicator with an exclamation point; I'm not connected to WiFi.

My screen intensity is at 50%.

Pimlical A is the only "card" running.

HTH a bit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Just unplugged it 5 minutes ago. 98% 7 hrs left.
New Dunno.
Maybe try the suggestions here - http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/01/nexus-lollipop-problems-fixes/

I'm at 81% battery with 16 hours left now. Google Services has taken 6%, everything else is smaller.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks all. That's weird. My phone is back to normal.
I left the office Friday on 100%. Went up to GR to see a hockey game Friday night. Left the phone on all week-end and used it sparingly. On Monday I had about a 50% charge left. I didn't change anything on the phone, but it is holding charge a lot better (no overnight deadness). Peculiar, but I'm not asking any questions.
New Woot! I'm glad it's done being cranky.
New Just installed the 5.0.1 OTA update.
It seemed to take a long time after downloading (5+ minutes?), but it seems Ok. A bunch of other stuff is downloading now too...

I'll post more if I have any issues tonight.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I just did that as well.
And I need to post a correction. My battery wasn't actually dying. It just appeared so. If I leave the phone unused, but still turned on overnight, sometimes in the morning the device doesn't come on when I tap the power button. If I hold the power button on for about 30 seconds I observe one of two behaviors after that interval:

(1) If I have the phone plugged into a charger, the indicator light comes on solid red. I lift up on the power button when it does that and the solid red blinks a few times. Then the battery charge symbol appears (like it does normally when turned off and plugged into a charger). It is almost fully charged when this happens, typically around 75%. I can then either leave it charging or hold the power button long enough to boot it up and all is well.

(2) If it is not plugged into a charger, the indicator light begins to flash white and then the device boots up properly, again, with about a 75% charge.

I'm going to have to RTFM, but it looks like inactivity is causing the device to go into something that looks like a "deep sleep" state.
New Oh, they're trying that again?
I had a few adventures with my tablet through the Android 3.x series where it would go into "deep sleep" if left overnight. There were three OS updates almost once a month from Asus until they made that "feature" Go Away.

I'm speculating wildly but it sounds like someone in Google-land loves "deep sleep" in Android and how it improves battery life, thus why it's back. Unfortuately they don't understand why the great unwashed don't Get It. Such a person likely has atypical Android usage and hasn't had that fact hammered into their head yet.

Wade.
     Nexus 4 post upgrade question. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
         The battery life on mine seems much improved. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Thanks. Did you turn on the battery saver mode? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Not intentionally. - (Another Scott)
         Device Assist? - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 A wall charger will charge it faster than USB. - (static) - (6)
                     Some PCs, too. - (pwhysall)
                     Understood. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Won't make any difference - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Yup, something's wonky. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Just unplugged it 5 minutes ago. 98% 7 hrs left. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Dunno. - (Another Scott)
         Thanks all. That's weird. My phone is back to normal. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Woot! I'm glad it's done being cranky. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Just installed the 5.0.1 OTA update. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             I just did that as well. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Oh, they're trying that again? - (static)

I invite this riffraff to my house every year?
79 ms