IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New R. Reich on the Gotcha! of the college education mantra, currently.
We're oversupplied with the degreed, most of whom are in jobs they're overqualified for.

Hardly news here, but some of the numbers might fill in a few blanks.
'Course if the courses chosen are solely about job-prep, well.. there's an infinitude of web material as can substitute for much of that experience, saving the angst, expense (and that feeling that you're mainly supporting a Sports Team with your involuntary donations.)

Catch 22(k$) ... more like $100k for many; wonder how much private, periodic tutoring (for a reality check) would cost. Resume: "Private school tutoring". It's all a Play, and as RR opines:
In bizness:
Their employers still choose college grads over non-college grads on the assumption that more education is better than less.
The New CIEIOs love to use the word, innovation ... well?
Imagination says, there are many ways to game that casual assumption; a custom-tailored, 'professionally administered' course of study is just one.
Most CIEIOs love to use the word innovation. ... Well?

Recall that hyperbolic wannabe-student essay, replete with skillsets of several lifetimes? It worked. He got in.
New He needs to look at median, not mean
I saw another analysis that said if you exclude something like the top 5% you've got only a 50/50 chance of making back the investment before you retire. I'll see if I can find that ... something is telling me it was Reich who wrote that one, too.
--

Drew
New Like that analysis..
Makes sense: the massively-motivated (for whatever personal rationale) can parlay their talents (even though some of these--like marketing/persuasion?)--may amplify their capacity, merely for storing oodles of banal BS. (Science majors would never plan so pragmatically, IME.)

It's a legitimate filter to apply too, especially when the result shouts out that 50/50 remainder, so much more effectively than any wordy essay on 'motivations' and other dueling blab-words.

Coming soon (the finishing-school for wannabe hedge-fund managers:) Greed 101.
Bet it's over-subscribed in the first half-hour. Find a Need and fill Credentialize it.
Wanna start on on-line University? Follow the script of School for Scoundrels ..with the unparalleled Alistair SIm! uttering..

He who is not One-up is One-down (silent cha. cha. cha.)
New Can't find the one I was looking for, but there's this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/10/student-loan-debt-median-income_n_3573683.html
In 2012, the median income for all college graduates was $46,412 while average student loan debt was $28,720, the study found.

In 2011, two-thirds of college students graduated with debt equivalent to about 60 percent of their annual income on average, according to a June report from Congress’ Joint Economic Committee.

Note that the median quoted is for all college graduates. Starting salary will of course be lower. So the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll graduate with debt you won't pay off for 10 years or more. Then maybe another 10 years to catch up to people who started off sooner in jobs with a lower upper limit.
--

Drew
New Cart-before-horse affliction?
So yer gonna get an edjakayshun, so as to better grok how to cya, find out how things really work (and how to do your own ROI, say--as regards filthy-lucre?)

But.. but.. ya Need that lore before ya sign-up with some of the most usurious bastards since Caligula (whose dice games could have but one winner.)
Methinks that 2014 and hence (given all the discussion now re that ROI-thing) shall see the forcing of some wholesale *Revisions of academe in its many emerging forms
along with ditto re all concepts of medical care--the real utility of Insurance cartles, if Any?--and several other hoary institutions which our parents never ever evaluated:
for themselves or for us.

* Starting with: Kill Sports as.. your main focus/cash cow, with a side gig of hiring a few star-Profs while making mostly grad students teach, for chicken-shit pay.

Everything's a wissenschafft now; er 'knowledge factory', a boffo term I called, *mine!*, on first hearing..
(But I flat-missed the necessity of following that to its reasonable conclusion; didn't know shit about Scale!)

Next, all we have to do is sternly inform the USSC that they cannot any longer call the concept-of-a-corporation a People, and fix a few other muddled definitions, like speech.
     R. Reich on the Gotcha! of the college education mantra, currently. - (Ashton) - (4)
         He needs to look at median, not mean - (drook) - (3)
             Like that analysis.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Can't find the one I was looking for, but there's this - (drook) - (1)
                     Cart-before-horse affliction? - (Ashton)

Oh, Dad! We're ALL Devo!
56 ms