IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've bailed
The straw that broke the camel's back was when my alarm went off at 0600 today and, in my sleep-befuddled state, dismissing it was a bit of a pain in the arse.

SIM card is back in the 1020, and the N5 will be on eBay this week.

I'll miss the 1080p screen and Google Now, but pretty much everything else works better for me on Windows Phone - especially things with lists - like my contacts, my email, my messages. And especially the calendar. Google really fucked that up.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 24, 2014, 02:54:02 AM EST
New Thanks for the reports. Sorry it didn't work out.
New It's disappointing, really.
Material Design was starting to grow on me, but there were too many things that required too many taps/swipes to get to.

What's frustrating is that Google really can do nice software when they try. They just don't seem to try very often.

It's clear that a boatload of usability work went into Google Now, because that whole thing is slicker than snot. Ditto for Inbox.

Presumably those usability people were down the pub when the calendar was being designed. The camera app wants to be the Nokia Camera app so hard it hurts, but it so isn't. The settings are still all over the place - sound is particularly bad for being smeared out across the settings in ways that are technically correct (the best kind of correct!) but which are user-hostile if the use case is "OH MY GOD WILL THIS PHONE EVER SHUT THE FUCK UP?". You turn off app sounds here. You turn off keyboard sounds there. You turn off notification sounds over here. You have to go into the FB messenger app to get it to STFU because it doesn't (seem to) respect the system-wide notification thinger.

Reloading a page in Chrome is a swipe up to get the menu/address thing to appear, a tap on the three dots, and a tap. Seriously?

Android is a lot better than it used to be, of that there is no doubt. But stacked up directly against WP 8.1? For me, the only advantage it's got is first-mover advantage, IMHO. MS dropped the mobile ball in spectacular style, and Android has exploited that to the max.
New Does the microphone clip?
One of the apps I really like on mine is a SPL app for measuring noise. Unfortunately, on my Nexus 4, it clips at 80 dB.

How is it on the 5?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound

It's things like this that make me nervous about buying a new phone. One really doesn't know about the hardware limitations until one has used it for a while...

Yeah, there are lots of annoyances that they need to fix, like the browser refresh thingy. I generally do it by a quick short down swipe to get the address bar, tap the address bar to get the keyboard to appear, then click the Go button.

One that gripes me is on really long pages (e.g. a long comment thread on Balloon-Juice) is there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly get up to the top or bottom of the page. I have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll. Really?

I generally have my phone on vibrate all the time because I haven't figured out the various sound things yet. Fortunately, I almost never get calls, but I agree that needs to be fixed.

Google Now is neat, but I haven't figured out how to customize it, so I generally never use it. The "20 minutes to work, 2 more than usual" notification thingy is nice, if a little creepy.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The browser refresh spawned tons of hate
There used to be a refresh button on the toolbar. When it went away dozens of people reported it as a bug on Google's help group. Google replied, "Nope, we meant to do that." Thousands of angry comments later they haven't budged.
--

Drew
New Apple isn't the only one that does "we know better".
Historically they're much better at it than Google, however.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New They all try it at some point.
IBM used to do it. MS was the poster-child for it. Adobe has fits of it. Even Canonical did it.

Wade.
New But none of those made the "definition of open" tweet
Google did, so their control-freakery (you can't even choose colours for items in things like the speed dial, ffs) comes off as a little out of place.

https://twitter.com/Arubin/status/27808662429
New Ouch.
     Random purchase: Nexus 5 - (pwhysall) - (33)
         Good luck with it. - (Another Scott) - (19)
             Yeah, that's annoying - (pwhysall)
             Got the ping that I can update to L now if I want. Maybe tonight if I'm brave... -NT - (Another Scott) - (17)
                 Dooo eeeet. - (pwhysall) - (16)
                     Maybe tomorrow, er, later today. Maybe. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (14)
                         So, I told the notification that I'd do it Later... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             Should come back after a week or two. - (static) - (8)
                                 Zooks! - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                     C-dissonance Alert! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         :-) - (Another Scott)
                                     The Xperia upgrade notices are nice. - (static) - (4)
                                         I don't think I've been bitten by that. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                             Been bitten before. - (static) - (2)
                                                 Looks like it's a setting on the Play Store on KitKat. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Interesting! - (static)
                             Sometimes, power-cycling can get this sort of thing to show up -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Hasn't yet.... I'll try to be patient. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Do you connect to an Exchange account? - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Fortunately, no. Thanks for the warning though. - (Another Scott)
                     Done. It took about an hour. Looks promising - nothing's broken yet!! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Random purchase: Nexus 5 - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         Day 5. Struggling to enjoy it. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Several "Yes", a few "I don't have that issue" ... overall, sounds about right - (drook)
         I've bailed - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Thanks for the reports. Sorry it didn't work out. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 It's disappointing, really. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Does the microphone clip? - (Another Scott)
                     The browser refresh spawned tons of hate - (drook) - (4)
                         Apple isn't the only one that does "we know better". - (malraux) - (3)
                             They all try it at some point. - (static) - (2)
                                 But none of those made the "definition of open" tweet - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Ouch. -NT - (static)

Well, yes, because everyone knows that having an Italian travertine fireplace in just one color is gauche.
169 ms