IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yep!
The retailers hate Master Card and Visa, but you have to agree the CurrentC procedure is a PITA.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Wouldn't touch CurrentC at all
Direct line to my bank account? Nope.

I don't use my bank's Visa debit card either.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Ditto.
Why should customers save these stores 2-3% at the cost of trusting them to not suck one's bank account dry, and not putting off actually paying for it for ~ 30 days, and not being able to pay over time, and not getting 1-1.5% back, and ...

Yeah, if one doesn't have a credit card then some of the options above vanish. But then, why not simply use a check instead? Or a debit card? Me dragging out my phone, carefully taking a picture of a QR code, handing my phone to the checkout clerk, putting my phone away, is somehow easier than swiping a card and maybe punching in some numbers?

It makes no sense.

NFC does make sense for this, but it needs to be done in a secure way that doesn't send all the financial benefits to the stores and the banks and the financial clearing houses. As it stands, CurrentC vs Apple Pay vs Google Wallet vs MC and Visa and ... just looks like huge companies fighting over who gets to collect the monopoly rents and who gets to track everyone even more than we're tracked now...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who doesn't use many store "frequent customer" cards either.)
New i use all the store cards, under a different name of coarse
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New I used to work with a guy ...
He memorized the address and phone number for Wrigley Field. Used that whenever he signed up for loyalty cards.
--

Drew
New 700 south addison? from the blues brothers
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Well that's more obscure than 1600 Pennsylvania.
New Well that's more obscure than 1600 Pennsylvania.
New 1060 W Addison St
to be exact.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New had the street right, not bad for antique memory cells
New I'll give you half credit then

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New rofl.
A high school friend would occasionally give a made-up name to the restaurant hostess while waiting for a table.

"Name?"

"Rumplestiltskin"

Cheers,
Scott.
New Mister Mxyzptlk
--

Drew
New In high school my friends and I were always "foreign exchange students" at lunch.
New :-)
New Why not use the card?
Is it the lack of chip&pin?

Everything's chip & pin over here. Contactless, too - saves lots of time for transactions up to £20.

ETA: Here's how the contactless works:

[wave card at reader box - same one that you'd put the card into, and then type your pin for a chip & pin transaction]
[box goes beep]
[there is no step three other than receiving your goods & receipt]
Expand Edited by pwhysall Oct. 31, 2014, 01:43:54 AM EDT
New Chip and Pin is coming, but not here yet.
The merchants and/or banks didn't want to pay for a bazillion new terminals. And the existing system was argued to be "good enough". But then a few hundred million card numbers, etc., got stolen from several big stores and they started figuring, "hmm... - maybe we need to do something more secure a little quicker". So, it's very rare here, but supposedly is supposedly going to be rolled out in a big way by October 2015.

Presumably the new readers are going to be configured to accept C&P and RFID and NFC (or have ports to easily add it later) in case one or more of these things becomes popular. But who knows - maybe we'll all have to have iris scanning done in order to buy anything in the next few years...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who just noticed that Amazon is delivering on Sunday in this area. Sweet.)
New This is going to hurt
We're with NCR following their buyout of Radiant. We've been trying to find out for weeks what our options are to add C&P to the terminals (some less than 6 months old). So far, crickets.
New And Verifone is backordered up to 12 weeks
--

Drew
     CurrentC - (Another Scott) - (19)
         Yep! - (a6l6e6x) - (18)
             Wouldn't touch CurrentC at all - (malraux) - (17)
                 Ditto. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                     i use all the store cards, under a different name of coarse -NT - (boxley) - (11)
                         I used to work with a guy ... - (drook) - (10)
                             700 south addison? from the blues brothers -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                 Well that's more obscure than 1600 Pennsylvania. -NT - (static)
                                 Well that's more obscure than 1600 Pennsylvania. -NT - (static)
                                 1060 W Addison St - (lincoln) - (2)
                                     had the street right, not bad for antique memory cells -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                         I'll give you half credit then -NT - (lincoln)
                             rofl. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Mister Mxyzptlk -NT - (drook)
                                 In high school my friends and I were always "foreign exchange students" at lunch. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Why not use the card? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Chip and Pin is coming, but not here yet. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         This is going to hurt - (scoenye) - (1)
                             And Verifone is backordered up to 12 weeks -NT - (drook)

Trying to explain why the female wild vampires have 6 nipple rings for example.
219 ms