Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Random thoughts on having lots of pixels
  1. I like having lots of pixels
  2. I like having them on one screen, rather than spread across two or more
  3. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 at making lots of pixels look good
  4. As pixel densities rise, Apple's font rendering advantage disappears
  5. Some very popular apps are inexplicably immune to high-DPI - Steam, for one. A Valve employee has stated that making it work would be very hard. I bet an assumption was made way back when, and now it's grown massive teeth and is biting them in the arse, hard
  6. You really can get a 27" 1440p PLS LED panel for £190, but you'll give away build quality on the enclosure
  7. Software is getting interesting again - the Apple stack (Yosemite + iOS 8.1) looks great, as does the Microsoft stack (Windows 8 + Windows 8 :D). Google are probably content to settle for search, maps and mail. They don't seem serious about anything else, that's for sure
  8. (not really a HiDPI thing) I want a black theme for Office 2013, like the one for 2010
New I've liked high res. screens a long time.
My two ThinkPads have high resolution 14" and 15" LCDs. They cost a bundle, but they were good, useful machines.

It used to be the case that one often had to run with different DPI / text scaling options in order to make the Winders text large enough to read comfortably on high resolution screens. Otherwise the text and icons were microscopic. Of course, sometimes that would cause weird problems. E.g. My dad had ocular melanoma and lost his right eye last year, so he's been running his XP desktop at 125% text scaling. Since doing so, the Time setting from the GUI has been broken - he can't change the AM/PM dropdown box to PM (it doesn't take). I had to use "time" in the command line to do it. Back in Win3.1, there was some weirdness in Word or something where some menu option wouldn't show up if the text scaling in Winders had been changed.

Of course in 7, there are only 3 scaling choices (100%, 125%, and 150%). It's stupid. No doubt there's a registry setting or some underlying API one can use to change it (I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe does something like that to make their apps even more fragile..), but if they're going to limit it, they should have better choices.

There are too many things like that in Winders that are terribly annoying. It's as if they had some summer intern write the code for that stuff about 20 years ago and nobody at MS checked it and thought about the implications...

In my copy of Office (2010?) I never could find a color theme that looked reasonable to me. I don't recall what I ended up with, but it might have been "black". I generally turn off the "ribbon" as much as I can and use keyboard shortcuts as much as possible... Ctrl = is Subscript, Ctrl + is Superscript. But apparently there's no shortcut for going back to normal baseline text?? :-/

On the Mac, I haven't felt the need to adjust things as much but it seems to "just work" much better on large, HR, screens. But the Mac is still mainly a "play around with" desktop for me.

YMMV of course. ;-)

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is hoping that cheap, decent IPS or similar 4K desktop screens arrive in the not-too-distant future before replacing his 24" IPS screens.)
New Re: I've liked high res. screens a long time.
There are not only 3 scaling choices in Windows 7. You can choose an arbitrary scaling factor. I will check exactly how to do it when I get to work tomorrow.
New Hmm...
On this Toshiba R835 laptop I only have 2 choices:

Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Display
100%
125%

Ah, but at the bottom on the left there is "Set Custom Text Size (DPI)". I wonder how much stuff changing that breaks...

:-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You wanted it, you got it :)
     Random thoughts on having lots of pixels - (pwhysall) - (4)
         I've liked high res. screens a long time. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Re: I've liked high res. screens a long time. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Hmm... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     You wanted it, you got it :) -NT - (pwhysall)

Searching for a distant star, heading off to Iscandar!
48 ms