IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm pretty sure this was intentional, not an oversight

A Bay Area tech company has been slapped with a fine and ordered to pay thousands of dollars in back wages after a United States Department of Labor investigation revealed the company paid workers $1.21 an hour.

The Labor Department said about eight employees of Fremont-based Electronics For Imaging were flown in from India and worked 120-hour weeks to help with the installation of computers at the company's headquarters. The employees were paid their regular hourly wage in Indian rupees, which translated to $1.21.

EFI, which posted third-quarter revenue of nearly $200 million, released the following statement on Thursday: "During this process we unintentionally overlooked laws that require even foreign employees to be paid based on local US standards."

Last year, another company, Bloom Energy in Sunnyvale, faced similar charges and was fined for underpaying employees from Mexico an hourly wage of $2.66.

[...]

EFI has been ordered to pay $40,000 in back wages to the employees. In addition, the company was hit with a $3,500 fine.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Fremont-Tech-Company-Paid-Workers-121-An-Hour-US-Dept-of-Labor-280148082.html

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New ..and these are just the two who have been noticed and actually charged.
New Because they're small enough to be.
New Exactly.. (I missed the obvious. Again.)
When it's Amazon in their chain-gang Shipping Palaces ... nothing. to. see.

Boycott. Amazon.

What!?! and lose THE CONVENIENCE of sucking out the guts of the minions: at your C.C.'s beck-and-call?
     I'm pretty sure this was intentional, not an oversight - (lincoln) - (3)
         ..and these are just the two who have been noticed and actually charged. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
             Because they're small enough to be. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Exactly.. (I missed the obvious. Again.) - (Ashton)

I'm reconciled to the existence of idiots in the world, but I'm bitterly resentful of whoever it was who first thought to make computer technology available to them.
54 ms