IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Would she be happier with a MacPro?
Much more expandable, much better video performance.

E.g. this refurbished is less than $2k with 16 GB of RAM and an extended 15 month warranty. It can be configured with 32 GB. Installing a SSD would be easy.

Full Specs. It can take 96 GB of RAM (if running Winders, it can use 128 GB). It can run Yosemite.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Plan to send her here to mull, cogitate
Agree entirely with the frugal solution, even where I could.. indulge in a shiny-shiny with 0-miles. That palatial box seems a real steal.
Will have to find if 'notebook' is a firm decision (vs. her 27" iMac, as surely needs to be maxxed-out anyway.,)
If it comes down to a flip-coin? I might have to win a Scrabble game soundly, to prevail..

If she's planning a serious project, involving any Hi-rez? it is hard to argue against appropriate CPU/GPU and mondo Mem.
Also eyesight may be a factor; I can still appreciate miniaturization (except the way Apple $$uses it: to render upgrades impossible.)
But small-screen to do anything creative in graphics? (Pity the Cinema display is aimed at the gentry; a n/b's video on 2nd Mon still seems scrawny.)

Wow 96 GB: how many tabs open? :-0
(bet that the cookie-processor would be overloaded, even with hyper-AdBlock.) Each site seems to dump many more in last couple years;
I clean them out now, periodically: pure time-waste as that is.)

Seeking comments on latest Mac notebooks - (Ashton) - (37)
         Nice, expensive, not got much graphical shove - (pwhysall) - (7)
             What he said. Are you missing a "Do Not" in the last line? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 No - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Weird. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Weird. - (pwhysall)
             I disagree about the keyboard. - (static) - (2)
                 Take your point, but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Yes, the HHK is an outlier. - (static)
         They were updated in July, more extensive changes in 2015. - (Another Scott)
         Thanks all.. perzackly what I needed to know. - (Ashton)
         PS: about desirable mem for two Apps: - (Ashton) - (24)
             Max it. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                 I do appreciate that Winders Can handle (even such as you do.) - (Ashton) - (20)
                     windows sux - (boxley) - (10)
                         My dad recently got a Win7 machine after running XP for years... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             recent? Win8 has been out for a while. - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Yup. Just a few months ago. They didn't want 8.x. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Wow - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Win7 is on "extended support" until January 2020. It'll be around a while. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         +5, subtle. Yes, I catch your meaning.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             apple controls what hardware goes into its boxen - (boxley)
                         It's not UNIX - (malraux) - (2)
                             yup, shoddy dev platform unless you are from other countries - (boxley) - (1)
                                 No kidding - (malraux)
                     Re: I do appreciate that Winders Can handle (even such as you do.) - (pwhysall) - (8)
                         +5, Insightful. - (static)
                         Thanks; second the Insightful (and dudgeon over Apple's now evident decline - (Ashton) - (6)
                             Actually - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 Heh. even moi can second the file manager options available - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     I was a young sysadmin in the mid-late 90s - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         By way of contrast - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             So you're the kind of user who can still make that happen -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                 Wasn't even connected to the wifi - (pwhysall)
             Would she be happier with a MacPro? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Plan to send her here to mull, cogitate - (Ashton)
         You might consider the refurbs - (Steve Lowe)
         you might want to check the iworm -NT - (boxley)

We don't think of it as a rebellion. We call it "heavily armed stress leave."
105 ms