IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Relative sizes of recent smartphones.
Including a mockup of the Nexus 6.

The LG G3 is looking like it might have hit the sweet spot.

(Via a comment at Android Police.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Feh! Feh, I say!
Tiny phones for children and people with suspiciously small hands, one and all!

I cannot wait until I get my paws on the successor to the Nokia 1520 and cast my baleful gaze on all six inches of its loveliness.
New I cannot wait for something else.
I cannot wait until I can afford to get out of this business and rid myself of all my electronic equipment.
New Luddite! :)
I like to check the home thermostat and adjust as needed while "on the road".

Now I can even open and close the garage door.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New More seriously:
The G3 has a couple of problems, those being the screen and the build quality.

The screen simply isn't bright enough. An LCD screen with that pixel density requires a beefier backlight than the one LG installed (no doubt for power reasons).

The build quality is decidedly meh. It's better than Samsung, but that's damning with faint praise. The Sony and HTC next to it are much, much better.

If you held the Sony and then the G3, I'd warrant that you'd opt for the Sony - given than you wouldn't be able to visually distinguish the screens anyway. The extra pixels on the G3 are of no benefit.
New I really like my Xperia Z.
All 5 inches of it. Largest mobile phone I've ever owned and I picked it because the Z1 a) cost a little more and b) was larger!

Wade.
New Yeah, it's got issues.
The size may be about the best compromise about now, but of course there's more to it than that.

I wish there were a Nexus version of it, for a reasonable price. Maybe that would take care of some of the issues that have been reported, many that don't seem to have solutions yet. I would hope that they have a G3 MkII in the wings that would take care of the bugs, the screen, etc.

I've always been impressed with Sony's small radios and gadgets. I spent a bundle on a Clie' PEG-TH55 years ago. It was an amazing gizmo. Until I dropped it and broke the screen. It was never quite the same after the repair (they left out a part and at least 1 screw...) :-/ I've not actually seen one of their phones in the wild, here.

Maybe the Nexus 6 is the one to get. We'll see. Supposedly it'll be out before the end of the year.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I suspect Sony and Asus are doing the same thing.
And that is working at being really good with their products and not losing too much sleep over not being the obvious success Samsung is.

Asus trail-blazed innovate Android tablet configurations, particularly the detachable keyboard dock that a lot of others are also doing with Windows 8. Sony have put effort into stylish hardware and a coherent platform integration in a rather less overt way than Samsung.

Wade.
New Samsung are in trouble
Until now, Apple weren't really stepping on their turf.

The iPhone 6 has changed that.

New Nexus 6 : It's a big Moto X
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/motorolas-nexus-6-photographed-its-a-big-moto-x/

Nice phone, good size. Shame about running Android, but you can't have everything, I suppose.
New Heh. Yup.
L (Android 5) apparently will support 64-bitness. Presumably 64-bit phones to take advantage of it are coming soon. Unless one really must get a phone in the next month or so, it makes sense to wait to see what hardware is coming.

I expect lots of people who have bought phones in the last 6 months to have buyers' remorse pretty soon...

Cheers,
Scott.
("It's better - it's 32 more!!11")
     Relative sizes of recent smartphones. - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Feh! Feh, I say! - (pwhysall) - (2)
             I cannot wait for something else. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Luddite! :) - (a6l6e6x)
         More seriously: - (pwhysall) - (6)
             I really like my Xperia Z. - (static)
             Yeah, it's got issues. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 I suspect Sony and Asus are doing the same thing. - (static) - (1)
                     Samsung are in trouble - (pwhysall)
                 Nexus 6 : It's a big Moto X - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Heh. Yup. - (Another Scott)

Do you plan to call me on your camera next?
74 ms