IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No
Regular external drives work fine for workaday stuff, but I've read stuff that indicates that the special case of booting off an OS X disc seems to require Apple's beautiful-but-expensive SuperDrive.
New Weird.
Hmm... It looks like Apple's been playing some games with their external optical drives. Some hackery may be required to have SuperDrives even work with some Macs.

(boggle)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Weird.
I think the Apple use case has now come down to "If this appliance in the configuration you buy today meets your needs now, and for up to the 3 years that the AppleCare lasts, you're golden. If not, well, OS X may not be for you."

Frexample, I'm looking at what's coming down the gaming pipe, and I'm seeing games that (thanks to the PS4 and XB1's unified memory models, and the tendency of developers to write stuff with consoles in mind) have a requirement for 4GB of VRAM. This is inconvenient, but I can go out and buy an NVidia GTX 970, sell the GTX 660 on eBay, and carry on happily.

Anything other than casual gaming on a Mac? Busted flush in the next 2 years. Even mildly graphically demanding games that would otherwise be fine will run like dogshit because of the differing memory model.
     Seeking comments on latest Mac notebooks - (Ashton) - (37)
         Nice, expensive, not got much graphical shove - (pwhysall) - (7)
             What he said. Are you missing a "Do Not" in the last line? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 No - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Weird. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Re: Weird. - (pwhysall)
             I disagree about the keyboard. - (static) - (2)
                 Take your point, but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Yes, the HHK is an outlier. - (static)
         They were updated in July, more extensive changes in 2015. - (Another Scott)
         Thanks all.. perzackly what I needed to know. - (Ashton)
         PS: about desirable mem for two Apps: - (Ashton) - (24)
             Max it. - (pwhysall) - (21)
                 I do appreciate that Winders Can handle (even such as you do.) - (Ashton) - (20)
                     windows sux - (boxley) - (10)
                         My dad recently got a Win7 machine after running XP for years... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             recent? Win8 has been out for a while. - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Yup. Just a few months ago. They didn't want 8.x. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Wow - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Win7 is on "extended support" until January 2020. It'll be around a while. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         +5, subtle. Yes, I catch your meaning.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             apple controls what hardware goes into its boxen - (boxley)
                         It's not UNIX - (malraux) - (2)
                             yup, shoddy dev platform unless you are from other countries - (boxley) - (1)
                                 No kidding - (malraux)
                     Re: I do appreciate that Winders Can handle (even such as you do.) - (pwhysall) - (8)
                         +5, Insightful. - (static)
                         Thanks; second the Insightful (and dudgeon over Apple's now evident decline - (Ashton) - (6)
                             Actually - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 Heh. even moi can second the file manager options available - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     I was a young sysadmin in the mid-late 90s - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                         By way of contrast - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             So you're the kind of user who can still make that happen -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                 Wasn't even connected to the wifi - (pwhysall)
             Would she be happier with a MacPro? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Plan to send her here to mull, cogitate - (Ashton)
         You might consider the refurbs - (Steve Lowe)
         you might want to check the iworm -NT - (boxley)

I wanted to request installing a suggestion box at work, but I had no way of doing it.
59 ms