IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Lone Star" redux
I watched this again recently, and was more impressed than ever. John Sayles is one of the most intelligent, least cynical, director/screenwriters doing business today, period. The film is set in a Texas border town in 1996 and in 1958, with seamless transitions between the two eras (they are so seamless that they almost call attention to themselves, but this is a negligible reservation). I particularly appreciate that Sayles never relies on the soundtrack to do the heavy lifting for him: no swelling violins to cue the idiot audience that the scene under consideration is especially profound. He handles an ensemble cast with great tact and delicacy, and had I viewed it upon its initial release I would actually have been filled with optimism as to the future of this multicultural republic. Alas, Sayles' vision was too sunny. The cracker revanchists will destroy the commonwealth before they permit the illusory diminution of their imagined privilege.

codially
New OK, you bastards
Nobody went ahead to watch Lone Star, and now romantic interest Elizabeth Peña, who had turned 55 just a day before my post, has died of "natural causes." She was goddamn luminous in Lone Star, and her performance might have been better noticed in a production less ensemble-oriented: as it was, the rest of the cast was so good that her own performance was just one of several stellar turns. Rent the fucking thing, people. You'll thank me.

cordially,
New It's available streaming on Big River, if you've a Prime account.
     "Lone Star" redux - (rcareaga) - (2)
         OK, you bastards - (rcareaga)
         It's available streaming on Big River, if you've a Prime account. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Well, I should say!
33 ms