IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New LRPD / images conundrum - a modest few tests.
As a couple people have pointed out in forums and today on the mail-list: over past weeks the site has been slowing more and more = (for me) periods of dead-in-the-water inactivity, then normal completion rates of a transfer, when it has come back to life.

Seems that the finding of the LRPD image is one bottleneck, per several reporters estimates. What I notice is: (via Moz9.9) the image for Inthane's pic is one repeatable such interval. After lengthy delay, in location where (everyone else's) pic resides - appears a message box [Picture of Inthane or maybe "Inthane-chan", forgot]. This happens only for I's pic and I've never seen this phenom elsewhere.

I'm posting this now via NS 4.5: Ditto above, even slower loading than Moz. in general, but in trying to reach oz.net for Inthane's pic - throbber just keeps on throbbin (as it will in Moz, til the [pic of] box appears). No bytes transfer. Same if I STOP and command "load image" (it says it's just an ol .jpg). Try to "save image" to disk! - download box appears and sits forever.

Obviously this isn't about a manic Need to see Inthane's image! but I'd wonder where my? system could be broken, for this repeatable anomaly on an ancient but usually trouble-free NS 4.5 and a snazzy new Moz 9.9 -- combined with others' confirmation of these delays.

Are these know burps of the DSL loading, lousy upstream tech management of that? A phenom of the images needing to be loaded from some peculiar disk location? ie. (LRPD not in a cache). It seems.. to be getting worse, but I haven't been pointedly timing stuff over weeks, either.

Or should I just forward this to Jason? Ordinarily I'd refrain from bugging our Benefactors ever -- but the trend is towards worsening, as I see it.

Ashton

PS Preview of this post: first try, took ~ 30 secs to get as far as "2K loaded at 56 bytes/sec" = mostly stalled. Cancelled. Second try - maybe 8 sec idling, then a (previously normal zIWE) rilly fast load.

PPS - about 5 min later:
Back on Moz 9.9. Excruciatingly slow loading of THIS post and then of EDIT command.

Went to Yahoo finance, a busy front page - flashed in in ~ 3-4 seconds, ditto graphs for partic. stocks, etc. Ditto The Reg (UK), 4 sec full page loaded.

Not complaining - just reporting.
A.
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 May 21, 2002, 10:56:47 PM EDT
New DSL provider router issues
Jason is currently fighting it out with his provider as to whose router is the culprit.

It's been bad on and off. You should try using character mode emacs on the box though. :-P Now that's punishment.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New ...I can merely ___imagine._______[cackle]
     LRPD / images conundrum - a modest few tests. - (Ashton) - (2)
         DSL provider router issues - (admin) - (1)
             ...I can merely ___imagine._______[cackle] -NT - (Ashton)

And we had great cheese together.
45 ms