Originally on a 2-year contract w/unlimited data on Verizon, but on 3G that's a joke. Text, which I did not use was 25 cents per.

Now it's on a Verizon "pay as you go" plan w/unlimited voice and text and 500 MB data at almost $50/mo with taxes and fees. There's a 500 MB/mo bonus for setting up auto pay. Again, on 3G it's tough it for me to use the 500 MB given I don't watch video stuff. I do use text messaging much more now. Also, via apps, I control both my house thermostat and the garage door from wherever. In a pinch, I use it for email and browsing. Heck, I did that from Ukraine over a slow ship's WiFi connection in 2012.

Recently, my wife got on the same plan but with a iPhone 4S which was purchased from Verizon for $200. The prior phone was dumb LG cell phone. So we text each other a lot now.

We also each have an (WiFi only) iPad. Mine is the original iPad, a hand-me-down from the wife who has the iPad-2. While she does have a Lenovo Win-7 laptop, she uses her iPad quite a bit. Also, it's the device of choice for Facetime with kin. My iPad (w/o cameras) is mostly used for playing Sudoku and reading books. :) That's because the MacBook Pro is usually near by as well.