IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What on earth can I be doing wrong?
Look, comrades, I don't code like the kool kids. I rely on visual editors, and am just sufficiently conversant with HTML to do basic troubleshooting with a reference manual open on my lap, OK? I've never represented myself as anything but a humble self-taught designer who stumbled into these tech precincts.

I have suddenly lost the ability to post updates to my own modest site (unimportant in and of itself, but symptomatic of a raft of problems encountered as I attempt to get the spousette's site up and running). Following an afternoon's ordeal, I've got both Dreamweaver and Fetch to accept my credentials, and have attempted to upload a one-line modification to my rather pro forma home page. Each application swears that I've done this, and yet, neither Safari nor Firefox (the former after cache and history both cleared; the latter after not having been invoked in, like three years) reflects the afternoon's changes. The truly strange part? When I view the code from the browsers, my change is right there. HTML yes, browser screen no. WTF, my auditors? WTF? Anyone ever encounter this?

chasing my tail,

New Your "slouching" site?
I know very little about HTML, but I do know that the standards have gotten stricter and less forgiving over time.

Maybe try running the site through a validator like http://validator.w3.org/ It'll list all the "errors" that it finds - maybe something in there will give you a clue as to why you're having trouble making changes.

It wasn't happy with your "slouching" site - 192 errors, 129 warnings. (You can change the evaulation "doctype" in the results page to be less strict if necessary.)

My guess is that the problem you're having isn't due to HTML errors, unless there's something pathological buried there.

Do you have to do some sort of "publish" mojo to make the changes go "live"?

HTH a little. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Your "slouching" site?
Slouching is a Blogger site. It's sloppy, but that comes with the territory. No, this is another one, highly obscure. I know that whatever's going wrong is due to my ineptitude, and it's infuriating that I can't find it.
New So you are saying "show code" shows it but it does not render?
Single line trivial text change or HTML tag change?

Send me info via lastname.firstname@gmail.com (if you remember who I am) and tell me the lines that are expected yet not showing. I'll test and review for you.
New solved it, but...
in such a blind frothing rage toward the end that I was hurling spaghetti at the wall: eventually a noodle stuck.

I suspect that somehow I was uploading to a closely-related but obsolete server. Just now, I intend to continue drinking, and contemplate the problem rationally in the cold, hard light of tomorrow's hangover. Thanks to all who opined.

cordially,
New The FSM comes through again! :-)
New I know I'm a bit late...
But browsers are supposed to ignore what they do not understand, regardless of the HTML doctype. Chances are, there may be an open bracket upstream, or a typo in the element name.
New File type is "html"?
Can you also try opening the local file (on your disk, not website) with say Firefox?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Ignore. "A day late and a dollar short." :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     What on earth can I be doing wrong? - (rcareaga) - (8)
         Your "slouching" site? - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: Your "slouching" site? - (rcareaga)
         So you are saying "show code" shows it but it does not render? - (crazy)
         solved it, but... - (rcareaga) - (2)
             The FSM comes through again! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             I know I'm a bit late... - (scoenye)
         File type is "html"? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Ignore. "A day late and a dollar short." :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Did anybody else know that they kept a lake behind that big dam?
84 ms