IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need a "new" phone
My 12 year old inherited phone has finally died. I want to get something that will work on AT&T network and is insanely cheap. I only recently went back to work at a gig making much less than I used to so money is tight. Voice and text is all I really need. Don't care if it has a camera, don't need a giant screen, don't want a contract. Already on my folks plan for friends and family at ten bucks a month.

A refurbished jobbie would be ok if I can't get a new built one for under $100 (under $50 would be better). all Im looking for is something I can put a sim card in and keep in my pants pocket without worrying if keys/loose change will damage it. I think I would be nervous about breaking a new smartphone with touch screen.

From what I've seen on AT&T's site, most of the cheap options are go-phones. I don't know if that is a good option. Can you even put a go-phone on a pre-existing plan?
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
New Cheapo Windows phone
520 or similar.

New concur, what I use
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Check eBay.
I had good luck there for our phones for many years. J loved her Motorola Razr flip phones, and I used a Palm (something or other) for many years.

The Razrs would usually fail due to the flexible cable dying. And their battery life is crap these days, so I wouldn't recommend them now (even though it's hard to beat the form factor).

Maybe something like this LG A340? $50. Amazon reviews.

But seriously consider a smart phone if you can. Most of the price of a phone is in the plan. You can (or used to be able to) get a $30/month T-Mobile plan with 5 GB data, 100 min of calling and free texts. It is a month-to-month pre-paid plan, so there's no long-term contract. If you get good service from them in your area, and don't need a huge amount of calls, it's a good deal. T-Mobile will let you pay for a new phone over 2 years, also too. Battery life will usually be much better with a newer phone, also too too.

HTH. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I may have some
Problem is, the youngest one may be ~6 years old. Work switched from AT&T about 4 years ago. I just never got around to finding a recycler for the old phones.
New Bought this one for my son: $95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081HMG9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old Android but it can be upgraded OTA to 4.mumble. Unlocked even though it says AT&T on the front.

Seems like a decent enough phone, for Android. He's had a few issues with battery life but nothing major.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Thanks all. I just realized ...
I like my phones like I like my women, cheap and no long term commitment.

But seriously, thanks. Went with the Pantech. With my usage style the battery life should be astounding. No games, no.Facebook, no Youtube or twitter*. Is it worth it to get a case and if so, hard shell or soft? Anti-glare film?

*Didja hear? Facebook Twitter and Youtube are in merger talks. The only thing holding them back from signing is choosing a name. The top contender is YouTwitFace.
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
New Which one?
One of these? http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html

If it's one of the flip phones, a case and screen protector etc. probably aren't necessary.

If it's a touch-screen, a screen protector film can be useful (protects from scratches and a little easier to keep clean in some cases). I've got a leather flippy case on my Nexus 4 (though mine flips vertically and that one flips horizontally). I don't have a screen protector.

J has a clear plastic-rubber "bumper" case and a glass screen protector for her iPhone 5S.

Lots o choices.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Changed my mind about the Pantech from Malraux's post
Blu seems to have some decent phones at decent prices. No contract, GSM, cheap, voice and text only models. Some for under $30 brand new at Best Buy. Prices go up as features do but they seem to have a pretty good line of smartphones as well. Company and phones have gotten some good reviews. No raves but not really any pans either.
New Highly recommend AGAINST Pantech
My wife had one. Worst crap of the crap.
     Need a "new" phone - (Silverlock) - (9)
         Cheapo Windows phone - (pwhysall) - (1)
             concur, what I use -NT - (boxley)
         Check eBay. - (Another Scott)
         I may have some - (scoenye)
         Bought this one for my son: $95 - (malraux)
         Thanks all. I just realized ... - (Silverlock) - (3)
             Which one? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Changed my mind about the Pantech from Malraux's post - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     Highly recommend AGAINST Pantech - (crazy)

I could go on Oprah touting his evilness. Write articles. I would be famous. Fat, but famous.
61 ms