IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Otto Hahn--Nobelist re discovery of U-fission
and a catalyst for many soon-after. (Recently reminded self of his seminal connection to those more generally known still, in 2014.)

An inspiration to Linus ((the other one: Pauling) and many other luminaries, he was devastated by news of Hiroshima (while under 'arrest', sequestered at Farm Hall in then-GB) in Nov. '45 when his Nobel was announced. Felt personally responsible for deaths of the innocents.

He always acknowledged the partnership with Lise Meitner, for their collaboration in trying to figure out What? Barium-like 'impurity' was found: only because they were about the most skilled chemists of infinitesimal-size samples extant. Seaborg (who performed similarly re. the earliest chemistry of Plutonium) specifically remarked [as in the Wiki account] of the invaluable assistance of Hahn's 'Radiochemistry Manual'.

So, for any interested in history of Science (the thought and the deeds) this compact article melds with what-else all know was going on from ~1938. (There was an earlier prescience of fission--not followed-up by experiment, also mentioned.) Lots of material in this collection, needing mainly some appreciation of the Periodic Chart and an idea of how quantitative analysis proceeds ... much like any flow-chart diagrams other processes. (All much harder as sample size diminishes.)

'Twould be a Shame to lose all of this.. next, over the mere spreading-around of Money, eh?
New Thanks.
New Interesting.
I did not know his role was so pivotal in understanding fission.

Interesting also was his role in developing poison gas during WW-I.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Otto Hahn--Nobelist re discovery of U-fission - (Ashton) - (2)
         Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Interesting. - (a6l6e6x)

Who left that on the floor?
115 ms