IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perhaps its time to start an outsourcing company
With americans - located somwhere with a low cost of living - forming our own offshore enclave.

Something to think about. I wonder exactly what sorts of services the offshoreists provide. Software development? In my experience with offshore resourcing (pakistan via Time Warner), the communications gap was always a problem, the time shift was a drag, and there was much rework onshore to make up for misunderstandings. Apart from that, hardly anybody writes specs detailed enough to throw over the ocean. If they did, they could probably realize the same savings using domestic talent as the spec'ing is 80% of the work.

Unless you use Java.... ;-P
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:41:41 AM EDT
New Well, make sure you read Andrew's advice on prequalifying
customers.

My experience has been that most companies are too stupid to save money, so you want to find the ones that really understand about "penny-wise, pound-foolish". Or, to put in the terms of one of Andrew's tales, $35/hour x 8 hours is a whole heck of a lot more than $60/hour x 1 hour.

It would also help (or be necessary) to find customers that will let you use appropriate development tools. Sure, people are more important than the technology, but good tools can really help. (To be fair, there can be good reasons for standardization, if the company will maintain the project after it is developed -- but with the "appliance" approach to computing I think such concerns are much less important.

Tony
     eWeek on IT jobs moving offshore - (lincoln) - (13)
         eWeek on contractors keeping jobs local or offshore - (lincoln)
         eWeek: Commentary on IT jobs moving offshore - (lincoln)
         Desitter was correct - (orion) - (8)
             Not entirely. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Was he? - (imric) - (4)
                     Your point? - (jb4) - (3)
                         I was disagreeing with inthane-chan - (imric) - (2)
                             Actually, we agree for the most part then. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Yeah, FWIW - I recall it that way too - (Ashton)
                 Not quite - (orion) - (1)
                     That view didn't come over too well in his posts... -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Perhaps its time to start an outsourcing company - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Well, make sure you read Andrew's advice on prequalifying - (tonytib)

This looks like the output of a Markov bot that's been fed bus timetables from a city where the buses crash constantly.
154 ms