IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Moving to Gmail?
I've got several domains on shared hosting. All provide email, and allow unlimited accounts and a catch-all. I'm tired of fighting with Evolution - spam filtering in particular - and I'm ready to switch to Gmail.

Is it possible to use Gmail (via IMAP) as a front-end to email stored at my current host? Could I then take advantage of Gmail's spam filtering?

The alternative seems to be paying for Google Apps and using Google as the only email store. Problem there is I'd have to pay per-account, and I've been using different accounts for years. (ie: facebook@domain.com; linkedin@domain.com; amazon@domain.com) So I need a catch-all account, and they don't seem to support that.
--

Drew
New I recently moved everything to Google Apps.
Google Apps -> Settings for Gmail -> Advanced settings -> Default Routing

Does all that... and you can force many things now.

There is also in "General Settings" under "Advanced Settings" (yeah I know)

"Catchall routing should only be used if you really need it as spammers often try to guess email addresses in your domain. The increased mailflow from spam can lead to the account becoming locked or in legitimate messages being deferred, delayed or bounced. If you must use a catchall make this an account dedicated to this function, rather than an active user or admin address and make sure to clean up the spam in the account regularly."

I pay for 2 accounts per year for this reason and pay for 100GB of storage for that account only. Mind you I went to less than 1GB of storage, from many many multi-GBs of mail on my old server, without losing a single message.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Expand Edited by folkert Aug. 12, 2014, 05:04:01 PM EDT
New Re: Moving to Gmail?
I switched all my domains to gmail a couple years ago when I got tired of futzing around with hosting exim4. They allow catch-alls, and I make use of them. There's no real issue that I've found. Sure, spam is a bit increased because woieurhgwueh423u4h@mydomain.com is a valid email address. Who cares? Gmail spam filtering is good enough, usually.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New How does the pricing work
I've seen things talking about $x per user, but with a catchall that would seem to be infinite. I'm missing something.
--

Drew
New Don't know...
I can't speak to that. All of my organizations that use it have under 10 users, and I moved them over back when "organizations with fewer than 10 users" were free.

What I can say, though, is that you basically specify the catch-all to go to one user.

So you would have drew@htclyg.com, and mike@htclyg.com. Those are two separate accounts. Drew doesn't see Mike's email, and the opposite is also true. Then you set up the catch-all to go to Drew. Drew will now see any-email-address-here-except-mike@htclyg.com. Mike will only see email to mike@htclyg.com.

Make sense?
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
New If you don't particularly care...
you can have 1 user and have them do the catch all.

I have 2 because I averaged many tens of thousands of mail per day to my mail server...

So, I pay $10.31/month for 2 users with one having 100GB of additional storage. (130GB total for that one)

With 1 user (technically you can do everything through aliases and groups) you'd pay about $4.15/month... you get all the stuff. All of it, since they've now made premium G+ the default for everything.

It really is that simple. Most DNS providers have "Google Templates" now a day.

I pay $29.95/year for my 10 domains and 5M queries a month. I can switch to "business" plan plus 25 domains for $39.95/year and 25M queries a month

I pay $100/year for 2 users

I pay $23.88/year for an additional 100GB of storage for 1 user.

Pretty damned cheap compared to what I was paying ($50/month and I had to do all the work and still had to pay for DNS stuff)
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New You're doing DNS and registration through them too?
I thought you preferred to keep hosting, DNS and registration all separate?
--

Drew
New I use DNS Made Easy.
Sorry to collude that.

I also still use Names4Ever for my registrar, but they are doing business as APlus... though I still have to use the Names4ever Control Panel.

And yes, I believe it is better to have them separate... I'm seeing a LOT of issues with companies like "1and1" that make me glad I don't do it all one place.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert Aug. 13, 2014, 01:01:51 PM EDT
New Re: You're doing DNS and registration through them too?
I know this is following on to a reply to Greg, but...

I use Names4Ever for my domain name registration, and my DNS is handled through dnsimple.

For what it's worth.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

Moving to Gmail? - (drook) - (8)
         I recently moved everything to Google Apps. - (folkert)
         Re: Moving to Gmail? - (mvitale) - (6)
             How does the pricing work - (drook) - (5)
                 Don't know... - (mvitale)
                 If you don't particularly care... - (folkert) - (3)
                     You're doing DNS and registration through them too? - (drook) - (2)
                         I use DNS Made Easy. - (folkert)
                         Re: You're doing DNS and registration through them too? - (mvitale)

A taste of the local Surf n'Quaff.
74 ms