IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Moscow is showing restraint, but for how long?
Well, they've got 45K soldiers on the border now. Perhaps they're waiting to have 100K.

They are already shelling the Ukrainian army from their side of the border. The Ukrainians dare not lob shells back.

Hey, at least look at the BBC as a news source.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New BBC reports the Ukrainian forces are blasting away.
Heavy fighting has erupted in a suburb of the rebel stronghold of Donetsk, in eastern Ukraine, local officials say.

There are reports of civilian casualties as government forces battle to retake the city from pro-Russia separatists, the city council said.

Reports say powerful blasts and shooting were heard in the city.

Ukrainian government forces have made steady gains in recent weeks, encircling Donetsk and another rebel stronghold, Luhansk.
Power cuts

"As of 17:00 (14:00 GMT), there are active military hostilities going on in the Petrovksy district of Donetsk," Donetsk city council said on Tuesday, quoted by Ukraine's Unian news agency.

Electricity has been cut in some parts of the district after shells hit substations in the area, Unian added.

It said that gunfire - including heavy weapons - could also be heard in other parts of the city.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28665050

Looking at the photos in that story, I'm sure they're just "protecting" them.

FWIW, Ukraine's National Defense and Security Council (who reported the numbers you gave) might have an interest in inflating them, don't you think? The first casualty of war is truth. I don't take anyone's word as gospel. But what all the reporting suggests to me is that things are bad, likely to get worse and none of it was necessary.
New For contrast see Russian response too BBC interview in Siberia.
From BBC article:
The BBC World Service has rebuffed a Russian state request to remove an interview with a Russian artist and activist who called for a march to win more autonomy for Siberia.
And then
Earlier, Roskomnadzor released a statement, quoted by Russian media, saying it had asked the BBC Russian Service editors to remove the story.

It warned that if the editors "continue to adopt an unconstructive position then the only possibility left to Roskomnadzor, to implement Federal Law 398-F3 of 28.12.2013, will be to block the BBC Russian Service website, on which the illegal information is published".

The law (in Russian) entitles the Russian authorities to block any information on the web which could threaten civil order and incite mass disturbances or "extremist actions".
Pravda can only be seen in Pravda!

More autonomy for Siberia, I say!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New For Siberia yes, but Eastern Ukraine no?
New More autonomy is one thing, annexation is totally another.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New So, you're supporting the "separatists"?
Because autonomy is what they voted for.
Organizers in the main region holding the makeshift vote on Sunday said nearly 90 percent had voted in favor.

Well before polls closed, one separatist leader said the region would form its own state bodies and military after the referendum, formalizing a split that began with the armed takeover of state buildings in a dozen eastern towns last month.

Another said the vote simply showed that the East wanted to decide its own fate, whether in Ukraine, on its own, or as part of Russia.

"Eighty-nine percent, that's it," the head of the separatist electoral commission in Donetsk, Roman Lyagin, said by telephone when asked for the result of a vote that the pro-Western Ukrainian government in Kiev has condemned as illegal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/11/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSBREA400LI20140511

It's also worth noting that Putin tried to get them to postpone that vote.
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged that a planned May 11 referendum on autonomy in southeast Ukraine be postponed.

In a Wednesday meeting with Swiss president Didier Burkhalter, Putin also called on Ukraine's military to halt all operations against pro-Russia activists who have seized government buildings and police stations across at least a dozen towns in eastern Ukraine.

The Russian leader described Ukraine's upcoming presidential election — slated for May 25 — as a move "in the right direction,"

http://news.yahoo.com/putin-postpone-east-ukraine-vote-autonomy-140218512.html

So, who is the real enemy of self rule?
New No.
Those votes, or the counting of them, were fraudulent. In any case, it was part of the same plan used to annex Crimea. The Hitler plan. Putin played the same game with Georgia in the past decade. Might makes right.

The reason for suggesting more autonomy for Siberia is in part to show the hypocrisy of the Russian position. But, autocratic control down to the lowest level of government is undemocratic. Putin gets to appoint regional governors?

The states in the US have domains under their control. Canada's provinces even more so. Getting the right balance between state and federal power has been tricky.

Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New But all state laws are subordinate to the Federal.
That was the result of the War of Northern Aggression. ;0)
New Well, there is the Constitution and Bill of Rights thing.
To protect the citizen from the state.

And, for now, you can smoke weed in Colorado!
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Our Bill of Rights? How quaint. ;0)
New Putin *publicly* tried to get them to postpone.
People like that thrive on credulity.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Ukraine bombs Russia. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
         Some really choice words there... - (folkert) - (1)
             Hey, it's Pravda. :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Moscow is showing restraint, but for how long? - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
             BBC reports the Ukrainian forces are blasting away. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                 For contrast see Russian response too BBC interview in Siberia. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                     For Siberia yes, but Eastern Ukraine no? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                         More autonomy is one thing, annexation is totally another. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                             So, you're supporting the "separatists"? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                 No. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                     But all state laws are subordinate to the Federal. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Well, there is the Constitution and Bill of Rights thing. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Our Bill of Rights? How quaint. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Putin *publicly* tried to get them to postpone. - (malraux)

I think it is I who would be expected to provide the goats as my dowry.
268 ms