IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gestation of the Murican Right Wing: Perlstein on 'The Invisible Bridge'
Further to the topic of attempting to explain the mental-states underlying the seeming-insanity of the rhetoric/to whom it's directed--and w.t.f. might possibly have set-in-motion this epidemic madness?

Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”
From climate change to foreign affairs, Reagan pushed America toward easy lies, just as reckoning seemed possible

DAVID DAYEN

Rick Perlstein is one of America’s greatest chroniclers of the origins of the modern American right wing. In “Before the Storm,” about the rise of Barry Goldwater, and “Nixonland,” about the backlash politics that drove Nixon into the White House, Perlstein has captured, in big set pieces and small details, the forces that came together to move the nation’s ideological center of gravity. Now, with “The Invisible Bridge,” Perlstein tells the story of another important figure in that shift – Ronald Reagan.

The title refers to a statement from Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon: “If the people believe there’s an imaginary river out there, you don’t tell them there’s no river there. You build an imaginary bridge over the imaginary river.” Nobody internalized this advice more than Reagan, who ignored American shortcomings like Vietnam or Watergate in favor of tightly wrapped fables, mesmerizing his audience with tales about a simpler time where America can never fail. It turned out, despite the enormous complications of the political moment, such stories were just what a large segment of the public wanted to hear. Reagan bridged the gulf between America’s perceptions and its reality, and transformed the terrain upon which we battle politically.

In an interview with Salon on the eve of the book’s release, Perlstein talks about the main themes of the book, how liberals underestimated Reagan, the similarities between reactions to Jimmy Carter in 1976 and Barack Obama in 2008, and the echoes of the impulse toward American exceptionalism in our present-day politics.

So this is a book about America’s loss of innocence and, simultaneously, America’s striving for a return to innocence. How do you reconcile that?

Well, that’s the narrative of the book, I would say. The story I’m telling is unfolding along that loss of innocence. But the baseline is this moment in 1973 when the Vietnam War ends, and that spring, Watergate breaks wide open, after basically disappearing from the political scene for a while. You have this remarkable thing, where Sam Ervin puts these hearings on television. And day after day the public hears White House officials sounding like Mafia figures. That same spring, you get the energy crisis, and you hear officials say that we’re running out of energy when heretofore, nobody knew you could run out. That’s a blindsiding blow to the American psyche. And then there’s the oil embargo, suddenly a bunch of Arab oil sheiks decide to hold America hostage, and succeed. So the way I characterize that is that we had this idea of America as existing outside of the rules of history, as a country that can’t do any wrong. Suddenly we begin to think of ourselves as just another country, not God’s chosen nation. I have a quote in the preface to the book by Immanuel Kant, who defined the Enlightenment as “man’s emergence from his self-incurred immaturity,” basically the process of leaving childhood and becoming a grown-up. And that’s what we’re seeing in America in the 1970s.

[. . .]

To use a recent example, a CNN reporter was taken off the beat for daring to say that the Israelis cheering on the bombing of Gaza were scum. You saw this in the wings of the period I’m writing about. “The Dick Cavett Show” had on Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin and some other radicals, and that show was censored. In that time we see this push-me/pull-me process of America struggling with the idea that it can begin to reckon critically with the present and past. Sadly, I feel that we lost the struggle at that time, and I think the biggest reason is Ronald Reagan.

I hadn't heard that Khrushchev/Reagan exchange. Perlstein may be on to something: after all, Ronnie is the icon for a Snake OIl Salesman we love to bash (and always wonder his %intelligence -vs- his shrewdly-marketed Certainties, expressed as homilies?)

Book may be a good read for those who want to comprehend aberrant behavior--surely the theme of the whole 2nd MIllennium, to date. A good present? to a bright twenty-something, who also wonders how the dis-USA happened and already realizes that ~5 more years of dis-USA Obstructionism just may retard all planetary efforts ... long enough to make the Catch-up untenable: 20 yos: ... ... Y.P.B.

MM: you might be Right: that the unifying focal-point for the permanent [-] spiral was, indeed Ronald WIlson Reagan--failed B-actor and Murica's Rasputin.
New slightly O/T
The late General Secretary was full of these anecdotes and insights. There are a few versions of the following story, which Khrushchev appears to have recounted on more than one occasion. This one I recall from about thirty-five years ago, in an account by Yugolslav intellectual Milovan Djilas, who was present during Khrushchev’s talks with Tito in the mid-1950s (the Soviet leader was in Belgrade to heal the rift that had developed between the two countries under Stalin).

During the Third Moscow Conference in October 1943, Soviet Foreign Minister Vyacheslav Molotov (apparently a distant relation* of my late sweetheart V!) invited British Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden and U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull to dinner at his dacha. Wartime privations notwithstanding, the three diplomats dined well, and over post-prandial drinks the Russian, indicating his pet cat, asked his guests whether they knew the trick of making a cat eat mustard. A friendly wager may have been involved. As the story goes, the American dabbed a bit of mustard on a slice of roast beef and placed this in front of the kitty, which gave him the stink-eye and spurned the treat. Eden concealed the mustard inside a lobe of poached sturgeon, which the creature began to eat until it encountered the vile condiment. Regarding his putative allies with genial scorn, Molotov dipped his hand into the mustard pot, grabbed his pet by the tail and slathered its little kitty rectum with mustard, thereby drawing the desired tongue action.

Ashton will be scandalized, but we already knew that Nice People were not over-represented in Stalin’s Politburo. As I recall the context, Khrushchev retailed this anecdote as illustrative of the national characters embodied by the human principals.

cordially,

*She said "I'd rather it had been the other Scriabin."
New MrrrrOWRrrr/Pffffftt!
That scandalous mustard-thing! was, I Hope: NOT of the picante-grade of other cultures! (know-not if Russki cuisine goes there?) Even if it was just the vinegar + feline-unpleasant taste, I fervently hope that Puss peed-in-Boots, at his very next opportunity; "nobody fucks with Paul-cat Lazzaro!" (if you can't place that, well ..you know. I win.) Molotov was a creepy guy. He was in SF re nascent UN ('45?) and I recall my Mater's quip (not about his character, just proximity) when she found a Dollar bill on sidewalk; said, "I bet Molotov dropped it." A tenner+ now, natch.

Heh.. enigmatic tease re Scriabin naturally forces me to wonder if there's an Other? [.. other Scriabin] meant, besides this one--complete with a snippet of his Op. 74--explicated somewhat here.
I no Scriabin scholar, but know of his experiments with quarters rather than thirds {weird} and otherwise scooping the tone-row folks, way early. He must have been the earliest Super-string theorist--pun intended. (Know nada of that surely fascinating Mysterium.) Doubtless he was a metaphysician, had grokked the essence of such matters as: some rooms/buildings being crafted to exact dimensions such that, most people entering have evoked ... a particular emotion. Have not followed-up on finding one of these; 'twould be a long flight in any case.
New Like many Bolsheviks of his generation
..."Molotov" adopted, and is remembered by, a nom de guerre. Let's imagine that revenge resembled something like this.

cordially,
New Yep, Molotov == the Hammer.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Fat Freddy! The Bard of
Telegraphs Lost. (never regained.)
New Russian mustard, unlike American or French . . .
. . is made not from seeds of "white" mustard (Brassica alba), but seeds of brown mustard (Brassica juncea).

Due to the intense ethnic diversity around here, this mustard is easily available, always labeled "Russian Hot Mustard".
New ..then FRY, Vyacheslav Mikhailovich, Вячеслав Молотов
for that catastrophic concatenation, curtly concocted: you dirge-humming Cyrillicized CREEP!
New Re: ..then FRY, Vyacheslav Mikhailovich, Вячеслав Молотов
At least we get to call them "Molotov cocktails" rather than "Scriabin sodas."

"cordial"-ly,
New How'd you get Cyrillic in the subject?
New Кириллица легко поставить в заголовок теперь. Благодаря Мальро!
Cyrillic is easy to put into the title now. Thanks to Malraux!

Google translate Cut and Paste.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
Expand Edited by folkert Aug. 1, 2014, 08:22:32 AM EDT
New That's cheating. But thanks all! ;0)
New как это? 还是这样吗?
http://translate.google.com and cut/paste.

HTH. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New 中國人是很容易投入的稱號了。感謝馬爾羅!
Chinese is easy to put into the title now. Thanks to Malraux!

Google translate Cut and Paste.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
Expand Edited by folkert Aug. 1, 2014, 08:22:54 AM EDT
New ..Gots to find Sanskrit.. for the Good of your soles.
New না যে সম্পর্কে কি, সংস্কৃত বেশ রহস্যময় হয়.
Do not about that, sanskrit is pretty arcane.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
     Gestation of the Murican Right Wing: Perlstein on 'The Invisible Bridge' - (Ashton) - (15)
         slightly O/T - (rcareaga) - (14)
             MrrrrOWRrrr/Pffffftt! - (Ashton) - (13)
                 Like many Bolsheviks of his generation - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Yep, Molotov == the Hammer. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Fat Freddy! The Bard of - (Ashton)
                 Russian mustard, unlike American or French . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                     ..then FRY, Vyacheslav Mikhailovich, Вячеслав Молотов - (Ashton) - (8)
                         Re: ..then FRY, Vyacheslav Mikhailovich, Вячеслав Молотов - (rcareaga)
                         How'd you get Cyrillic in the subject? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                             Кириллица легко поставить в заголовок теперь. Благодаря Мальро! - (folkert) - (1)
                                 That's cheating. But thanks all! ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             как это? 还是这样吗? - (Another Scott)
                             中國人是很容易投入的稱號了。感謝馬爾羅! - (folkert) - (2)
                                 ..Gots to find Sanskrit.. for the Good of your soles. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     না যে সম্পর্কে কি, সংস্কৃত বেশ রহস্যময় হয়. - (folkert)

LRPDism spotted: Beavis And Butthead Cornholio Megamix
67 ms