IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SSDs have gotten pretty cheap recently.
I've not had a SSD fail yet.

I just put one of these in J's 2011 13" MBPro. $213 for 512 MB. Mucho fastero than the 512 GB 5400 rpm Seagate that was in there. :-)

If you have things you need to get off the "dead" drives, ddrescue can sometimes do magic.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks! mondo-useful reminder..
Haven't kept up re the New-new cheaper SSDs (..as with most new-things and older ones.) At that price, considering retiring the now 6-yo, perfectly functioning 320 GB in my '08 iMac.
Wtf, while inside for cleaning fan blades (else they vibrate/wear/annoy) and all the detritus, elsewhere, why not swap-in this mega-transistor Wonder too. Presume a CarbonCopy (or orher) cloner first.. et Viola! yet another backup/backup ext. drive for free.

Reconciled that this sucker won't ever get the firmware upgrade from the new Microsoft-Apple Consortium, so must deal with 6 GB. But with the SSD, even when swapping starts: the teensy-latency should shine, no? Het, it's just a big Macbook ain't it?

(Light candle pleez, that the MTBF of This now aging box ... shall be an outlier;) me Hates selling-out to the New Consortium's raison d'etre: forcing its acolytes to Buy-New every 3 years +/-. Worst is: this manic-miniaturization (as surely will culminate in all RAM soldered-in (except in Mac Pro.. for a while?) just so they can gouge all of us from the get-go. When Corp-greed is this blatant ... will they also find a way to lock-in the HDs-of-whatever-stripe, next? As these boxes become unrepairable, I Do Hope that the resale value drops--and kills the every-3-years meme DEAD for any sales incentives (as re car resale metrics.)

{sigh} No ALT-source to Hide-in; seems my model-year is about the last where you have any $-conserving options at all. I'm screwed if one *transistor junction on mobo goes all hors de combat :-/ CP/M before Beastware, ever again!

[* My instinct (+ few glitches noted + some anecdotes) suggest that the GPU/heatsink + diode may be an Achilles heel. It runs hottest, for a Duh. Any ideas? within that already-cramped-in '08 case, for getting this sucker some cooler than ambient air? Could drill hole in back case, add ext-air via flex-tube, when I find out where this chipset resides. Unlovely but obeys thermodynamics--and That Rules the worldwide yottabyte of junctions. I wot.]

But I rejoice!! it could be much worse; could have been forced to live in Tennessee or Kentucky or ... the growing #pest-holes. And I ain't. :-)

Apple-mofos: now yer precisely as Fucked as any mediocre predatory-Corp, but.. at least, your shit Works.
I so miss George, to parse today's and tomorrow's local-outrages, in that tone-of-voice which no one can mime well-enough.
New I just used DiskUtility.
One of the tabs inside lets you copy the disk (at least in Mavericks). 1:35 video. It took something like 6 hours to do the transfer in my case (to copy ~ 250 GB over USB2) but it was painless.

The SSD will help, but if your RAM is filled all the time, there's only so much it can do. J's MBPro has 16 GB so it should last a while (fingers crossed).

She uses it as a desktop (the lid is closed all the time, external monitor, mouse and keyboard). I suspect the video card is having issues when feeding the internal display (it seems scrambled sometimes) - but maybe it's just a timing issue on the hand-off to the external monitor. Unfortunately, I don't think much can be done about it short of Apple replacing the motherboard. But I haven't looked carefully (no need, yet).

I vaguely recall issues with some nVidia graphics cards due to bad solder bumps on some of their chips. It happens. :-( iFixit has guides on replacing video cards in iMacs that have video cards. I forget - do you have a 2133? If so, this is the guide for replacing the video card (if it ever comes to that).

I wouldn't drill holes in the back, myself. ;-)

Fingers crossed that it keeps running smoothly for you!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Gracias; all useful angles.
Have curtailed my open-sites addiction ... via expanding-bookmarks-glut (Lose/lose?)
Hoping that when it's all Mavericky and Safari has had its brain-transplant: 6 GB ought to suffice.

Especially al-punte: plan to use De-oxit (the standard good-contact cleaner) on that very video card and every other un-pluggable
--since disassembly for HD makes that not much drudgery. Can't waste my n-decades around e- hardware and its ills..
which you Can sometimes out-fox. IT folk, it seems to me often elide any thought.. of such nostrums
--less'n like Greg say? they be also EEs (for whom there is no excuse, I wot.)

I Like the idea of some extra cooling for that IR-red-flagged trouble nexus though; shall ponder the drilling placement, fitting of a small-dia hose-bib and ...
Moar Aire where there are sweat-beads already. This (filtered!) air will also provide +Px to minimize future dust deposits via convection; thus
not-necessitating opening-up the bottom tiny holes too--as would just deposit more dust==heat-insulation.

(I mean.. if I can get 3-4 more years than average user [?] before a forced hardware corporate-made retirement, because chip failures didn't happen.. well, you know..)

Thanks again for the sanity check. (That 'hole' may be there, capped for some days..) while I cobble-up a small, quiet squirrel-cage Braun desk-fan:
with filter-plenum. For the Win. Love that fan-control app as much as iStat--together they let ya do Science. :-)
New With dead drive, I didn't have the luxury on my '09 MBPro.
But, boot from USB attached Time Machine drive restored the newly installed SSD. The system performance improvement is noticeable.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New I used ddrescue 10+ years ago when...
"knight" had a disk controller issue and I was able to get a good image after a few days of it doing its thing.

:D
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
     Further to external HDs - (rcareaga) - (9)
         Crashplan. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Re: Crashplan. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Yeah - (pwhysall)
         SSDs have gotten pretty cheap recently. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Thanks! mondo-useful reminder.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                 I just used DiskUtility. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Gracias; all useful angles. - (Ashton)
                     With dead drive, I didn't have the luxury on my '09 MBPro. - (a6l6e6x)
             I used ddrescue 10+ years ago when... - (folkert)

Sounds like a horse. Maybe it was.
84 ms