IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A better illustration of police-state-type behavior
What's going on here points to a VOX Vice story.

On the morning of December 21, 2010, Lula Smart was preparing to leave for her job at Sears when she heard a firm knock at her front door. An array of law enforcement vehicles had amassed outside, and armed officers were fanning out around her house. Before that day, Smart had no rap sheet to speak of, only a master’s degree in criminal justice earned earlier that year. While she enjoyed her work in retail, Smart hoped to transition into a job more like that of her unannounced visitors, who would read her a dizzying list of felony voting fraud charges that amounted to more than 100 years in prison. Handcuffed, Smart soon met nine other incarcerated African Americans who had participated in a vigorous get-out-the-vote campaign ahead of an election the previous month. Three of those jailed had been elected to the local school board.

Their efforts had helped to win the first-ever African American majority on Brooks County’s Board of Education. But almost four years after that vote, dozens of felony fraud charges still overshadow the group, known locally as the Quitman 10 + 2 (two more were subsequently charged). In her living room, Smart points to the television where she first saw her orange-jumpsuit-clad mug shot on the nightly news. She is the only member of the group who has not yet seen a trial—or, more precisely, she’s had two mistrials and counting. Since receiving 32 felony charges, her hoped-for career in criminal justice has, obviously, stalled. She now works full-time at Home Depot and fills in part-time shifts selling shoes at the department store. Before the first trial, she contemplated suicide, but says her resolve has since grown.

Work to win an election to the school board and the SWAT-like team shows up at your door.

:-(

The DOJ should be all over this. Why they apparently haven't been is a mystery.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 16, 2014, 09:36:59 PM EDT
New IMO...
"B" (both types) or "Y" people are threatening the "W" upper crust and those that feel like they are headed there. Heck even the lowlifes that are no where close but because they "W" feel the are justified in irresponsible behavior.

It is getting disgusting... and with a "B" in the White House... shoot, ain't nothing surprising me.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New One of the charges.
http://www.balloon-juice.com/2014/07/16/open-thread-1840/#comment-5057439

One woman is charged with the crime of carrying her legless father’s absentee ballot to his mailbox.

:-(

This is infuriating...

Cheers,
Scott.
New You know where you don't hear about this kind of crap?
Manhattan.
New More words please.
Do you mean you don't hear about it (but it happens), or that it doesn't happen?

I think it's more of the latter when it comes to voting rights, running for office, etc.

There are, of course, examples of police brutality in NYC. But that isn't usually related to voting, or running for office, AFAIK.

[edit:] I guess Box is referring to stop and frisk. Yup, that's bad. But it's not related to voting or running for office - the topic at hand. And it's ending/ended and DeBlasio stopped an appeal of a verdict against it.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 17, 2014, 11:03:22 AM EDT
New More words please. harrasment is not brutality
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Not just stop and frisk
When you enter the PATH station under the new WTC, there are dogs and army and DHS guys everywhere. When you get to the bottom of the escalators (about 15 side by side), they have a desk. At any moment, a guy with a machine gun can point at you to go to the desk, where they dump out all the bags you are carrying for examination.

I'm waiting for it it turn into: Your papers please.
New (And, ever since Irony died: there are no words for This pukka example.)
This level of derangement on National-scale isn't creeping-in on little pussycat-feet: It's SHRIEKING! ..as many with generally-sane minds imagine it will just go away, once
we "just-get-back-to" Abnormal.

(Maybe everyone's just apocalypsed-out? their radar incinerated when McCain/Mavericky actually WAS a contender for CIEIO-of-All.)
People who don't understand even their own metaphors may kill off all the ones who do.
     A better illustration of police-state-type behavior - (Another Scott) - (7)
         IMO... - (folkert)
         One of the charges. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             You know where you don't hear about this kind of crap? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                 More words please. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     More words please. harrasment is not brutality -NT - (boxley)
                     Not just stop and frisk - (crazy) - (1)
                         (And, ever since Irony died: there are no words for This pukka example.) - (Ashton)

Do you believe everything you read on the radio?
48 ms