IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New More fun with Clovegarden.
For the last year or so I've been updating my 2682 indexed pages so the W3C Validator likes them. One item it wants is a "charset" line. I like to keep things basic, so I used US-ASCII.

I've done a whole lot of work on some pages and put them up. So I ran the Zoom index program to update the search function. Mysteriously, a couple of pages were not getting indexed. I looked hard and found no reason. Linked one of them from another page and it got indexed.

So I started checking stuff out at Zoom - only to find my version 6.0 was obsolete - there was now a version 7.0. US $50 for the upgrade - no big deal.

So I installed it and ran an index - started getting "Warning!" messages - a couple thousand of them - claiming "Unsupported charset".

Wonderful, every page (except a few so old they hadn't been updated with a "charset" line yet, needed to be edited. Fortunately I found a little program that easily did the entire site in a single pass in about 1 minute (not counting searching, downloading, installing and testing).

All the .htmls are easy to uploade - except the recipes page - which took around 3 hours of careful evaluation of more than 1000 files. (I won't bother you with the details).

So, finally, after about 6 hours messing around, everything is happy again, and the good part is, the missing pages are now being indexed.

I need to dress up the search page a bit - my old mods were wiped out by the new template page, but that isn't a big deal, and can wait until tomorrow.
New More fun than Peter with his garden.
No excess exposure to ultraviolet! :)

Not that UK is known for sunshine.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: More fun with Clovegarden.
sed -e s/US\-ASCII/SOME_CHARSET/g -i filename

--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Of course - but . . .
I don't have an implementation of sed for OS/2 - there might be one, but I didn't have a lot of time to search Hobbes and try stuff.

Since the Windows XP machine I use for customer support can easily access the Clovegaden volumes on the OS/2 machine, it was the easy way to go.
     More fun with Clovegarden. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         More fun than Peter with his garden. - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: More fun with Clovegarden. - (folkert) - (1)
             Of course - but . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Boogle!
59 ms