IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good or bad? You decide

Even the best drivers occasionally press their foot a little too hard on the gas pedal.

But the engineers at Hyundai have come up with a way to save speeders from their own bad habits. The automaker is showing off a new system that not only alerts the driver to hidden speed cameras, but will automatically slow the vehicle down to avoid a ticket.

"It knows there is a speed camera there," spokesman Guido Schenken told reporters during a session marking the Korean launch of the newly redesigned 2015 Hyundai Genesis sedan. "It knows where the speed camera is and it will adopt the correct speed."

The system relies on some basic technology. Its onboard navigation system has a database showing where speed cameras are known to operate, and that information is linked to the sedan's auto-brake system. Drivers are given an audible alert about a half-mile before they approach the camera. If the motorist doesn't slow to the speed limit, the automatic braking system kicks in, gradually slowing the vehicle.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/new-hyundai-genesis-can-outfox-speed-cameras-n149496

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New Almost certainly illegal in many countries
Something that helps you break the law isn't going to find favour in many jurisdictions.
New Here, this sort of thing can greatly affect insurance.
Insurance companies will drop you if thy find you have a radar detector. Any other device the main purpose of ejovj is to allow you to speed with impunity would be treated the same.
New Break? It helps you *obey* the law, dunnit?
Sure, only for the piece of road in view of the camera... But that's one piece more than no piece of road, innit.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New They've supposedly been doing that in California for a while
There were a few dangerous curves on US 1 (AKA the Pacific Coast Highway). As radar detectors became popular, they mounted unmanned radar guns at the approach to these turns. People with detectors would slow down approaching the curve. Everybody wins.

I heard about this probably 20 years ago, before I had the internet to verify its validity.
--

Drew
New Why not just...
Force transponders to talk speed and the car limit it to +- 5MPH?

It'd be an impingement of my rights... but heck, it'd be a good thing, periods.

Florida is looking to raise the Speed Limit on Highways to 75MPH or 85MPH.

Hmmm...
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New It's anti-capitalist, so has no future.
It would deprive those white-lab-coated ones within the world's most profitable (while poorest in so many other ways) Medical Industrial Complex ... of their vigorish,
their means of buying a new Porsche every model-change. Because: your money or your life.

Which makes it un-Murican too: (a usual test for something useful to people but not to corporations--especially Insurance-scam-ones.)

OTOH: as Vrooom still costs n-$T/year worldwide, pandering to our acceleration sensors' direct-connection-to-gonads: it seems a good object lesson to anyone, having this Accessory:
as The Car says to you, effectively:
[Geo Carlin ON]

Hey..ASSHOLE! I asked nicely for you to SYA from a hefty fine/maybe some time in stir,. and you blew me off.
Now Big-Mommy has to bring adult discipline to your current masturbation-fantasy
..and also listen to your swearing at me; ie Fuck You! shit-fer-brains!
(See if my ABS or auto-correct-for-stupid-driving module listens to ya.. next time you trash me..)

[/Carlin]

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, Car-brains over shit-fer-brains.
     Good or bad? You decide - (lincoln) - (6)
         Almost certainly illegal in many countries - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Here, this sort of thing can greatly affect insurance. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Break? It helps you *obey* the law, dunnit? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 They've supposedly been doing that in California for a while - (drook)
         Why not just... - (folkert)
         It's anti-capitalist, so has no future. - (Ashton)

He wasn't always this way. He used to be a genial nerd, like many of us.
44 ms