IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Reaction times.
Amongst all their chicanery and foolishness, Top Gear do sometimes do some genuinely serious stories. One of their best ones was when Richard Hammond got to drive a (then current!) Renault Formula One car on a race-track.

He did very well for a man older than almost all current active F1 drivers and who had never driven even a Formula 3 car before that day. Even so, he still struggled to get around the track fast enough for the brakes to work properly! Why? He just could not think and act quick enough. In the end, it was that simple.

Wade.
New Re: Reaction times.
I imagine that to be divided into at least two processes, though (just 20/20 hindsight speculation.)
Brainwork, wherein previous memory/impressions cause you to crunch some ideas of road-surface, geometry and such to make a soon-decision
--is the slowest and I think, most easily tied to aging plus physical condition.
Muscle-memory seems to me to be less age-debilitated and also the place where 'skill' resides mostly, (along with the undefinables like
--a mood of intelligent fearlessness?/relaxing-intoa rhythm, with confidence) ... this doesn't work too well in words, I see. Ex:

A particular S-bend on a familiar group Sunday Morning Rideā„¢: I recall a probably 98%? day, when I just did approach this spot 'relaxed'.. let the meat-machine go
for the airborne rise at whatever "V" seemed right. It was glass-smooth, in 3D. I could not have willed that trajectory sequence (nor 'explained' anything to a following Brit rider)
who noticed the dance, quipping, "thought we were practising on the Island, did we?"

But competent racers have to be in that groove, at 99% perpetually--and this was memorable because: I (knew) I can't Do that. (The ones who too-often try for 105% of their skill-set?
never learned creeping-gradualism 101, I wot: ego is such a retard; always forgets too, that pain hurts.)

(Hammond had no muscle-memory (or vehicle memory either!) so it sounds as if he did an exemplary job of it.) For me, the decisive deterioration is within the er, 'fluid in the inner-ear gyroscope?'
which, exactly like the analogy, behaves as if the viscosity is thicker==too slow to trust :-/
So I won't be tempted to imagine that muscle-memory would SYA, er SMA.

Hmmm.. Kepler and I share similar defects (as did Hubbell before the fix--I'm in good company), even if it has to be small-V vrooom :-)
New His automatic responses were too generic, basically.
He is actually quite a good race car driver for a journalist (as, amongst other things, the 24 hour endurance race they did at Silverstone showed), but he drives so many different cars in so many different situations that he is always adapting his knowledge to the specific car he's in at the time. The other two are the same - it's the nature of their work.

Serious racing drivers (e.g. F1) know their own vehicle very very well and usually spend many hours before each race learning the track. Both of these were luxuries Hammond simply did not have.

Wade.
New Ah, that fits.. he does have the chops. Has to be a fun job, too.
     Isle of Man revisited - again - (scoenye) - (8)
         Wow. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         My kind of video. -NT - (folkert)
         Wow..! just WOW!! - (Ashton) - (5)
             Some can - (scoenye)
             Reaction times. - (static) - (3)
                 Re: Reaction times. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     His automatic responses were too generic, basically. - (static) - (1)
                         Ah, that fits.. he does have the chops. Has to be a fun job, too. -NT - (Ashton)

Six harpies are singin' on the lee!
43 ms