IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ugh
If you mean a Linux VM on one of the affected PCs can access the internet, that pretty much places the problem inside your house.

What did you try to verify application level communication?

It is Windows, so reboot before trying anything else.

Did you ping IP addresses or names? If IP addresses, use nslookup to check DNS lookups.
New Re: Ugh
I agree that it is in the house. I can ping yahoo.com or cisco.com from windows cmd window and the name resolves. The application layer stuff, firefox, chrome, can not resolve addresses.
I've rebooted more times than required to install an editor (that's a lot).
Thanks,
Hugh
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New A firewall or something similar is "protecting" you?
7 has a firewall built in. It also blocks things depending on whether it thinks you are on a Public network or not.

Unfortunately, there are so many variations on this theme that it's hard to tell what you can do to fix it.

Check:
Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center. If it says "Public" then you'll likely have no internet access.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and browse through the various Windows Logs and similar things in the left panel. Maybe it'll give you an indication of the errors and what is causing it.

Can you browse sites using the IP addresses in the browser address bar? I assume not, but that might be another thing worth checking.

E.g. http://74.125.228.20 is www.google.com (here, anyway)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Try a clean Firefox profile?
AFAIK, Firefox uses the underlying OS resolver, so it should work if nslookup works. Chrome has a built-in resolver, so all bets are off there.

Start a clean Firefox profile and see if you can get anywhere with it. (Run firefox.exe -p to bring up the profile manager.)

Unless you have file sharing totally disabled, see what happens when you run "net show \\other_computername" from each PC. (Substitute the name of the target PC for other_computername.) I'd expect to see at least an empty list, or an $IPC share, not an error.
New Re: Try a clean Firefox profile?
It's not just firefox. Outlook is down. Chrome is down. The VM I'm using is the only way I can reach the outside world.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New DNS Hijacker.
There are numerous... Windows thingers that do that.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
     Suggestions?? - (hnick) - (22)
         Expired antivirus stuff? Firewall? Other devices (tablets)? - (Another Scott)
         Ugh - (scoenye) - (5)
             Re: Ugh - (hnick) - (4)
                 A firewall or something similar is "protecting" you? - (Another Scott)
                 Try a clean Firefox profile? - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Re: Try a clean Firefox profile? - (hnick) - (1)
                         DNS Hijacker. - (folkert)
         ipconfig /all - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Re: ipconfig /all - (hnick) - (5)
                 Is this the kind of info someone could use to hack you? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     No. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 The only thing I see that's different from mine... - (Another Scott)
                 You have two connections to the same network - (scoenye) - (1)
                     This. -NT - (pwhysall)
         Fixed!! - (hnick) - (7)
             May have spoken too soon. - (hnick) - (5)
                 I use VirtualBox - (folkert) - (1)
                     Me too. - (hnick)
                 E_NOINTERFACE you may have reconfigured - (boxley) - (2)
                     I removed everything I could find. - (hnick) - (1)
                         Take a look at Revo Uninstaller. - (Another Scott)
             Woot! -NT - (Another Scott)

Ignore the man talking to his hand.
56 ms