IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Another option, and some suggestions.
Rather than changing browsers, it might be better to change e-mail clients.

[link|http://www.pmmail2000.com/|PMMail2000] can import Netscape 4.x e-mail folders, etc. It's shareware, like Opera. Eudora's very nice too, and some like [link|http://www.pmail.com/|Pegasus Mail]. Pegasus is free.

Personally, I think something else is up with your system that your problems with Mozilla are just a symptom of. But, perhaps your upgrade of Mozilla did get mangled a bit. Mozilla's readme.txt does say (for an RC1 nightly I have):

For all platforms, install into a clean (new) directory. Installing on top of previously released builds may cause
problems.
I imagine you've only installed one version of Mozilla, but if not that might be something to consider.

You might also look around in ..\\Mozilla\\RC1\\defaults\\pref\\mailnews.js (use the appropriate directory tree for your system). It's the default script that controls the Mail function of Mozilla. (It's mostly greek to me.)

I notice in [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=34423|this] thread that you were having problems with Mozilla displaying pages that others weren't having. Mozilla (RC1 on a WinMe box) using [link|http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/|Privoxy] (nee JunkBuster v2) as my proxy works fine here. I'm not using 98lite nor anything similar (though I do have lots of the extra eyecandy in Me turned off - e.g. I use the "classic" desktop and the "classic" folder types). I haven't turned off much in Mozilla - I let the proxy take care of blocking things - e.g. the only thing I mess with in Mozilla's Advanced settings is the proxy page.

Summary:
1) Run "scandisk" to make sure nothing's mangled on your disk.
2) Reinstall Mozilla in a fresh directory. Then import your bookmarks, mail, etc. Try it with and without your proxy software.
3) Only then, if you still have problems you can't resolve, investigate Opera and/or a new mail client like Eudora or PMMail.

My $0.02. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks - sounds just right
'Cause I agree with it, too :-\ufffd

I admit that I prefer.. to sorta understand 'problems' - what caused them. (unless they are inside Windoze, natch - nobody can Do That, well - only a few who have spent 10,000 hours actually Interested in that mess) But sometimes just "making it go away" will do :-)

I'll assume that, if I install RC2 (it is now, and on my disk) into a new directory, that it will scan for the useful bits, like previous.js files, bookmarks, mail - and I don't have to worry pretty little head about the generated index files left behind. I grant that's a nice touch, especially when it found the NS 4.5 files, originally!

I've already redone SpinRite on the HD - 0 defects still, at most thorough bit-testing available; also the usual SysInfo look at system files, nuking of \\temp, caches and a general lookaround where "the former-IE" likes to hide things. Hell, even ran the primitive RegClean - which is said to recognize at least badly-mauled entries: it found nothing to 'remove'. I have the Norton SystemWorks CD (to get Ghost! and.. it was cheap) but don't want to install that mass of gewgaws if I can avoid, except to evade RRR. Some tests can be run from CD however, if I find a brain-damaged Windoze is the culprit.

Yes a sep. mail client seems wisest after the above. I'll need that (or likely want the flexibility) in order to move that-all to Linux, once I've gone further through enough of the crap which passes for "documentation" - to actually get around to loading that CD on a new bargain Pee Cee: and watch it decide where to put all that New stuff.

(If I can accomplish getting all the usual suspects working + OOffice! on my L. box, maybe I can justify the pain&suffering - for about 5 friends who need to be weaned from the constant hassle (sometimes mine) of keeping their Billy systems limping along. This prospect isn't Quite enough though, to make me very tolerant of the EGREGIOUS quality of the .docs = why I keep putting it all off..)

Thanks for the good advice,

Ashton
New SpinRite vs DiskDoctor.
I may be wrong here, but doesn't SpinRite only check and fix the magnetic hardware of the disk? If so, then install the Norton DiskDoctor! What you may well need is a file-system tune-up. Or, to put it another way, if the bits which say what file is where agree with themselves. This is the same thing that ScanDisk does, BTW. It should be done regularly, anyway.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Yes - complementary.
Disk has to be in sufficient repair (and config) so as to be accessible by DOS, and of course - BIOS initially! (then via the small multithreaded OS within SR). SR then checks memory with some difficult bit-patterns, checks HD controller and decides which ECC loops it can disable, whether there's an "engineering cylinder" etc. - can't recall if it looks at FAT lost, linked chains etc. (?) I think.. but not sure that, if there's a FAT anomaly, SR will send you out to repair that (via chkdsk or the others you mention).

I gather from much past lore that Win is particularly crash-prone on any cluster containing a flaky byte/block - which hadn't been marked Bad. In one case I verified this re a local install which was failing in bizarre ways. Had him run SR, which found a bad cluster or maybe a couple. Install proceeded OK afterwards. Not Proof of the posit, but close enough for me.

Yes, SR is mainly about massaging magnetic domains (and also recovering data from now-Bad places) via iteration and in a neat built-in utility which you can watch doing its recovery thing. In course though, it can find marginally-bad controllers or weird main memory (or HD cache mem maybe).

I haven't personally needed that "DynaStat" level of recovery but have a couple first-person hearsays about its utility - one HD brought very near a powerful electromagnet, for one. All the data restored - along with the lo-level and hi-level formats ie it would boot normally (so MBR too, if that Was damaged!)

My allegiance to it is in the fact of its literally rewriting ALL the magn. domains in each cylinder = a fresh lo-level "reformat" along with all the rest. This is the only *practical* lo-level rewrite I can imagine accomplishing re today's HD configurations, and the lack of tech info as would let you do it the hard way (which natch destroys all content).

As to the effectiveness of the magnetic domain "scrubbing" Steve claims - you'd have to read his blurbs and decide for self. I think SR's largest SYAs were in the era of linear head positioners which drifted or got sloppy, thus screwing up the S/N of the output signal. In 'voice-coil' head drives of today, feedback positioning centers the head on-track. But the magnetic domains are where the data lives - so SR ain't obsolescent even.

If Steve never writes anything else very clever, SR is his Pulitzer IMhO.

Ashton
     OK youse Pros.. the continuing saga of Moz9.9 - (Ashton) - (19)
         Ashton. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Hmmm.... seems to me..... - (folkert)
             No sh*t! - (Ashton)
         Could be most anything.... - (Another Scott)
         Try this - (orion) - (14)
             Right.. "just nuke it all" and start from scratch. EZ - (Ashton) - (13)
                 Sorry I got you to make the move to Mozilla, Ashton. )-: - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                     No need. I had to try something better than NS 4.5 - (Ashton) - (11)
                         Time for me to comment, methinks. - (static) - (5)
                             Might could be.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Another option, and some suggestions. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     Thanks - sounds just right - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         SpinRite vs DiskDoctor. - (static) - (1)
                                             Yes - complementary. - (Ashton)
                         Browsers and mail - (wharris2) - (4)
                             Thanks.. helpful detail on deletions.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 M-Mail - (wharris2) - (1)
                                     Hmmmm - (Ashton)
                                 Further ruminations - (wharris2)

Nannyish, perhaps.
79 ms