IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Umm...
I seem to have an "off line mode" available in maps and so on.

I mean... oh well.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New In Google Maps? Where?
--

Drew
New See AS's reply to me...
He is right.

No Navigation and so on... just the static maps and non-corrected courses.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I haven't checked recently.
A comment from the original linky:

I love Google Maps and use it for most things, however I travel into the mountains and wilderness a lot where there is no cell phone reception. Google's offline maps are only good for simply viewing the map but directions, navigation and search are not an option while offline. For this reason I require an offline navigation program like this one by Garmin.

A year or more ago, I tried saving off-line maps with Google Maps. It really didn't work very well at all while driving in a new area. And, of course, search is useless without a data connection. There are other off-line maps things with like downloadable POIs that can fill in some of the missing pieces, but the ones I tried didn't work very well for me either.

I understand that (nearly) ubiquitous data connections are coming and we're in a transition. It just seems to me that buying a dedicated $210 Garmin box every few years still makes sense. It would be great to have the same off-line functionality available in our phones, but I don't think we're going to be there for quite a while. Maybe once Google's Skybox satellites are going that will change that a little faster.

Am I too pessimistic?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Garmin Viago for Android. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         I use Google Maps and Navigation... - (folkert) - (5)
             Me too, but having turn-by-turn, etc., off the network is very desirable. -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 Umm... - (folkert) - (3)
                     In Google Maps? Where? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         See AS's reply to me... - (folkert)
                     I haven't checked recently. - (Another Scott)
         Feh! Feh, I say! - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Saw a HERE camera car driving around a few weeks ago. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 The offline *search and routing* is the killer feature. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     I'm assuming the browser won't workie without a signal. Gotta check again I guess. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Ah, I see what you mean. - (pwhysall)

bash#_
83 ms