IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mongolian throat singing
https://www.youtube....tch?v=5wHbIWH_NGc

Skip ahead to 4:06 for the main performance. Stick with it at least until 4:30 to have your mind blown.
--

Drew
New Well, that's different!
But, really nice pairing with the instrument.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New And as many here know by now..
Because Dick Feynman became obsessed with Tuva or Bust, then died just before a planned trip with his friend--Muricans discovered throat singing.

This is best explanation of the phenom I've heard. No euphemisms re the "other students" "who aren't very good" !! 'We' would never say that!

I don't grok the whistle method; I can whistle with mouth sl. open, using tongue for pitch--but this is something Completely Different.
(I just Know that, had M. Python discovered this technique back then--well, you can almost Hear that skit.)
New good movie
http://www.genghisblues.com/film/ greenland is noted for throat singing as well
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Amazing.. who'd ever have guessed!
that a Murican could/would win over a Tuvan, in one of the styles?! And Learn Tuvan, to boot..
Makes rest of us all seem rilly-lazy.
Will audition some of the (crap-quality) mp3s and ponder springing for the flic.

Thanks for the tip. Lots of links there, tying-in RPF and friends-- those poor bastards have been fighting-off Russky imperialism forever.

(Maybe this is comparable to 'rotary breathing', by wind instrument players: Galway on flute, Sergei N., Wynton and others now, on brass..)
Makes it possible to play Perpetuum Mobile for Ex. with no pauses for breathing. Eerie on first hearing.
Rotary seems a step towards throat-singing prestidigitations; at least I'd guess that, if you could train self for the former--you'd have a chance at grokking the latter.

(Hearsay from a trumpet player at a Sergei concert: he damned near asphyxiated-self, in recording Perpetuum! he (alone among those who've recorded it) tongued
ie 'attacked' each note, rather than slurring; need extra air, etc. One-of-a-Kind is S.)

Wonder what bizarre stresses accompany throat-singing..
New Re: rotary breathing
I saw Flight of the Bumblebee on trumpet with no pauses. One of the instructors at the Navy School of Music. Different instructor held a note on French horn for over two minutes showing off during a rehearsal.
--

Drew
New (Envy)
Wish I'd gotten the Word ... a while back.

(I think.. Rafael Mendez, the über-trumpeter of my yout, had accomplished this feat, though I heard nada about that until much later)
--it certainly wasn't even a topic, amidst instrumentalists du jour.
Lucky you-seeing it live!
I'd hoped that Sergei might do Bumblebee as an encore, at his local appearance. Nah.. Carnival of Venice.
New Double edged sword
I was my 30s at least before I realized how unusual my experiences with music had been. I thought *every* junior high had a jazz band that cut albums each year.

I'm constantly disappointed by what passes for talent on the radio.
--

Drew
New There's a singer in Kingston who knows how to do that
His name's Trevor Walsh... originally from the Maritimes.
New I can do it a tiny bit
Not much, and certainly not well enough to pretend to carry a tune, but it's fun to play with.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Look up a tune called "Isis K" by Transglobal Underground
Features TU and the Bulgarian throat-singing ensemble, Trio Bulgarka.
New Linky
https://www.youtube....tch?v=oQzcm60jDy4

Maybe I don't know what I was listening for, but I didn't hear anything sounding like the throat singing I'm familiar with.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 24, 2014, 11:45:57 AM EDT
     Mongolian throat singing - (drook) - (11)
         Well, that's different! - (a6l6e6x)
         And as many here know by now.. - (Ashton) - (5)
             good movie - (boxley) - (4)
                 Amazing.. who'd ever have guessed! - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Re: rotary breathing - (drook) - (2)
                         (Envy) - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Double edged sword - (drook)
         There's a singer in Kingston who knows how to do that - (jake123)
         I can do it a tiny bit - (malraux)
         Look up a tune called "Isis K" by Transglobal Underground - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Linky - (drook)

I'm sorry ... I have to go Google your threat.
186 ms