IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hola Peter.. Query:
[First, OT] Some recent fodder on that old bugaboo, about which we civilly-agreed to disagree: Cell-fones (for just one EMI example) and looong-term discernible(?) Effects:
http://catalog.seven...u-can-do-about-it
(Haven't vetted this screed for n second-opinions, yet.)

On THIS topic:
Appreciating (as I do) your apparent knack for sanely distilling these various Ooops-grade Gotchas, as they occur:

My 'comprehension' of this one can only be shallow, as the code deals with instantaneous hand-shakes which Need to be machine-language coded for that speed (I presume)
--and doubtless truth-tables were Supposed-to cover All eventualities at-all possible. Ever.
And here: they didn't.

But from snippets everywhere, what I naturally wonder is: for those of you who've been immersed, in a variety of gigs, with many bizness-levels of IT competence,
from ugly --> Clever Lads:

Is the whole worldwide IT infrastructure actually riddled with comparable-scale oversights? (???)
(ie Many such: merely not-yet Noticed (also Reported.) I mean: is everyone just crossing-fingers daily?)

Thus, are we ripe--when full-cyberwarfare Does Happen: for something like full-Chaos, ensuing within hours or a few days after ... the first massive International root-kits are lobbed?

Maybe it's too early to make such a guesstimate? But it sure looks scary to us neophytes at the peripheries. Instant-blackout could do.. [Nobody could possibly predict-What, with any credibility.]
(Even I could list 100 crucial/Critical matters rendered inoperable. Deaths would ensue. 'Hardened'/Military agencies would be in unprecedented Control. Cats/Dogs! would be harmed.)

Just askin.. we're all becoming inured to regularly-impending Apocalypse, anyway; Right?

New Re: Hola Peter.. Query:
First: EMI hazards - no change, when there's any credible research that draws any significant conclusions regarding the risk of phones to health (and the experimental cohort is now literally billions of people for literally decades; if there were a signal in that noise, someone would have noticed by now - it's not as if they haven't been looking). Bloke with drum to beat and axe to grind writes book. Not a new story.

Anyhoo.

I don't think that the worldwide IT infrastructure is riddled with problems like Heartbleed, although I'd bet a pint that it's not the last dreadful bug of its kind, due to the lack of actual "engineering" that goes into most software "engineering" (seriously, writing this stuff in C is like a builder making your house out of bricks and girders he made himself in his back yard).

I think it's naïve to think that these bugs are unknown to the big intelligence agencies or the black hat community, despite the protestations of the former.

If I were a black hat and I had a sploit that could extract server private keys without leaving a trace, I'd be using it in a way that wouldn't attract attention (i.e. I wouldn't just hook up the biggerest and fasterest computer I had and all-but-DDOS the server, I'd make one 64KB request every other second or something, and let it run for a week, possibly coming from random IP addresses) like a BOSS.

I would then use the spoils of my efforts to extort moolah from the kinds of people who absolutely positively cannot afford any publicity (+ve or -ve) on the subject of security.

The spooks, of course, would use the spoils of their efforts to read ASCott's email, and lie about doing so.
New hehe.
New No they wouldn't ... they've got Policies
--

Drew
     Heartbleed and OpenSSL - (folkert) - (27)
         Re: Heartbleed and OpenSSL - (pwhysall) - (6)
             #1353 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Well dammit -NT - (drook)
             It is even more fun than that - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Look for "pacemaker" as related to heartbleed... - (folkert)
             Amazing... - (folkert)
         It now has its own website.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Most damning point IMO - (drook) - (1)
                 Yes... this. ^^^ -NT - (folkert)
         XKCD is cool today - (drook) - (1)
             wow - (crazy)
         SJMN: White House and NSA deny they knew about it. - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Re: SJMN: White House and NSA deny they knew about it. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                 I find this comment at Wonkette plausible. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Note the followup if you use Chrome. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         So Google doesn't understand the implications of... - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Deliberately turned off as of 2012 - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 I wonder if "Lifelock" is getting a spike in business... :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Hola Peter.. Query: - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Re: Hola Peter.. Query: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         hehe. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         No they wouldn't ... they've got Policies -NT - (drook)
         And it's exactly as bad as stated. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Damn! - (a6l6e6x)
             Irony. - (static)
         Possible nasty side effect on Debian if OpenSWAN is used - (scoenye)

Damn! Bloody %^@&^@ anal-retentive Geo Booleishness!
112 ms