IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PK's review of Piketty's Capital
http://www.nybooks.c...y-new-gilded-age/

Still, today’s economic elite is very different from that of the nineteenth century, isn’t it? Back then, great wealth tended to be inherited; aren’t today’s economic elite people who earned their position? Well, Piketty tells us that this isn’t as true as you think, and that in any case this state of affairs may prove no more durable than the middle-class society that flourished for a generation after World War II. The big idea of Capital in the Twenty-First Century is that we haven’t just gone back to nineteenth-century levels of income inequality, we’re also on a path back to “patrimonial capitalism,” in which the commanding heights of the economy are controlled not by talented individuals but by family dynasties.

It’s a remarkable claim—and precisely because it’s so remarkable, it needs to be examined carefully and critically. Before I get into that, however, let me say right away that Piketty has written a truly superb book. It’s a work that melds grand historical sweep—when was the last time you heard an economist invoke Jane Austen and Balzac?—with painstaking data analysis. And even though Piketty mocks the economics profession for its “childish passion for mathematics,” underlying his discussion is a tour de force of economic modeling, an approach that integrates the analysis of economic growth with that of the distribution of income and wealth. This is a book that will change both the way we think about society and the way we do economics.

Lots more at the linky.

Cheers,
Scott.
New rich to ditch usually takes 3 generations
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New The only way to wipe out family money ...
Have a significant portion of it tied up in non-liquid holdings, then have multiple heirs who can't agree on how to share.
--

Drew
New no, privilege with no concept of dont spend principle
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New DeLong's review.
https://www.youtube....tch?v=WzDNebAMTjE

Whoops, I mean...

http://equitablegrow...ek-april-12-2014/

There Are Four r’s

When I look at Thomas Piketty’s big book, I see one thing that he failed to do that I think he really should have done. A large part of the book is about the contrast between “r”, the rate of return on wealth, and “g” the growth rate of the economy. However, there are four different r’s. And in his book he failed to distinguish between them.

The four different r’s are:

[...]

What Does This Neoclassical Economist Say? Build a Mathematical Model

When a conventional American post-World War II neoclassical economist–somebody, that is, like me–tries to make analytical sense of Piketty’s big book, he says:

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!

No, that’s not it… He says something like:

[...]

He's a funny guy. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Piketty presentation at WCEG on 4/15/2014.
http://www.epi.org/e...26523855-55873989 (90 min).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks! On Tax Day, how appropriate. ;0)
     PK's review of Piketty's Capital - (Another Scott) - (6)
         rich to ditch usually takes 3 generations -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             The only way to wipe out family money ... - (drook) - (1)
                 no, privilege with no concept of dont spend principle -NT - (boxley)
         DeLong's review. - (Another Scott)
         Piketty presentation at WCEG on 4/15/2014. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks! On Tax Day, how appropriate. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)

Well, there's always "Clippy".
99 ms