IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting, indeed
And I would like to add this paper, which I found instructive, to say the least:

http://homepages.wmi...johnson/Payne.pdf

[...]

"Hidden rules are the unspoken clues that individuals use to indicate membership in a group. The
chart on hidden rules (see p. 5) provides details, but generally, in middle class, work and
achievement tend to be the driving forces in decision-making. In wealth, the driving forces are the
political, social, and financial connections. In generational poverty, the driving forces are survival,
entertainment, and relationships.

[...]
New That's an amazing 8 pages. Thanks!
New Indeed
--

Drew
New It's a keeper!
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Amazingly complementary short/long-forms
combining the revealing story telling of TNC and the underlying principles in starker form, of Ruby Payne--both distilled from a lifetime of observing--
observing mainly, the paucity of fundamental insight into the poverty (not just financially-for-the majority) of unregulated capitalism.
Thanks for this perfect synchronicity on such a difficult topic to address--across all registers.

On comparing both of these insightful essays, I thought that a third 'register' might aim right-at the Murican-style (say):
Our Puritan roots tend to inculcate respect for Authority generally, along with its religio-base for all 'morality'.
These confound any sincere examination of our 'Ideals' (and foster the tacit Certainty that we Are 'exceptional!)
via that other habit--of euphemisms for everything! from basic bodily functions to many other topics of social intercourse.

All of these tics/afflictions have rendered serious discussions (let alone 'debates') both rare and unproductive.
(My own view) is that Truthiness, as made a meme by Colbert--has been largely absent during all of my romp in our largely illusional (when not also delusional) enviro
--since my age of sentience.
We are/remain such pewling babies in a zeitgeist now dominated by clinical-insanity on the part of Half of our inadequate-Two political 'parties'.
Alas (as so often) the people who should see both these essays--probably won't. Or would not see their virtuosity, if they did.

Thanks for having this piece 'on tap'.
     TNC v. Chait on "black culture" and the"culture of poverty". - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Interesting, indeed - (dmcarls) - (4)
             That's an amazing 8 pages. Thanks! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Indeed -NT - (drook)
             It's a keeper! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Amazingly complementary short/long-forms - (Ashton)

In the arms of a jungle animal instinct.
67 ms