non-Corporate Apple guy, who saved a friend $much by Not letting Apple Corp replace her Superdrive (17" G-4? IIRC)

Thanks for heads-up (realize that your server situation is different.) Still, this smacks of lax-attention to those 'details' we pay Apple So-Much-for
--and bloody-well expect.
My teensy WD 'leet Passport had BETTER BE a backup-enough.. it shows no sign of creeping weirdness. Have a spare (too long story) so I could just dupe that + existing.
Good reminder to bring that along too..

It'll be worth a few$ to kibitz on some lore re Which caches to nuke with some regularity; let him burn me a bootable DVD of the 2-step (I guess) path to Mavericky territory
(Did they even Think about the {ugh} Palin-associations there??)
If anything goes awry, he's likely got lots of on-tap alternatives.

Not worth the $-saving to maybe get trapped in a 'can't-go-Baack' state and with nothing else configured, via which to do some sneaker-net SYA. Only 1 OS X machine.
Have allowed self to be seduced by the It Just Works propaganda and I appreciate the amount of lore I haven't had to cram==more time for books and other normalities.

I Hates It that you cannot order this crap on Media; it's not the mere d/l time--it's that you're stupid if you don't immediately make your own bootable copy.
Time/energy waste--for their new profit.
More corporate: "would you like to just do our bills online?" stuff--NO, I want Paper--it's Durable.

Damn.. just rubbed some cat-hair off the tiny vents! on bottom.. time to de-glass and clean the sucker again.
If you've an iMac in mix--do the wet finger along the bottom, check: be surprised/ make fans faster, too (?)

Ugh: disconnecting/driving, standing-around time's a coming :-/

I, sometimes envious of the Luddites--at least their brains are clean (though not the ones whose brains are clean because not-yet used, natch.)