IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That makes it eerie, then..
Steve has nothing to Say?

Still.. every 6 HOURS they want to check-in on moi?
But no time to fix the 'last' S/Leopard Safari ...
Guess I gotta finally euthanize the rest of my fav wall-hanging from snowleopard.org ... as Steve comes for Mine.
[Real Snow Leopards.. endangered like humans and all they obliterate, as Hawking put it so pithily.]
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.

And Naaah.. in the 5+ years now--only occasional updates evah hoppened; I usually drew a blank except for iTunes, which I don't use.
New I finally downloaded Lion last night.
The old Mac Mini Server I have is still running Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I want to set up a Win7 VirtualBox machine on it, on Mavericks, so I need to go through the upgrade chain.

A few weeks ago I bought Lion - http://store.apple.c...6106Z/A/os-x-lion - and finally downloaded it last night. It took a while (4.7 GB). On trying to start the installation, there's a cryptic message that I need to download the Lion Server bits from the App Store. But one can't do that from SL Server. :-/

Turns out, Lion can't upgrade SL Server. I need to upgrade a non-SLS box here to Lion first, then download the Server bits there, and then put that installer on the SLS box before the Lion installer will run on SLS. (The alternative is to wipe SLS and upgrade it to Lion then install the LS bits, but I don't want to do that...)

Even with Apple, sometimes things aren't as simple as they should be...

Best of luck with your upgrade journey! You probably don't want to put it off too much longer - it's not going to get easier by waiting. Make sure you've got a good backup first!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think I'll schlep my box to a local
non-Corporate Apple guy, who saved a friend $much by Not letting Apple Corp replace her Superdrive (17" G-4? IIRC)

Thanks for heads-up (realize that your server situation is different.) Still, this smacks of lax-attention to those 'details' we pay Apple So-Much-for
--and bloody-well expect.
My teensy WD 'leet Passport had BETTER BE a backup-enough.. it shows no sign of creeping weirdness. Have a spare (too long story) so I could just dupe that + existing.
Good reminder to bring that along too..

It'll be worth a few$ to kibitz on some lore re Which caches to nuke with some regularity; let him burn me a bootable DVD of the 2-step (I guess) path to Mavericky territory
(Did they even Think about the {ugh} Palin-associations there??)
If anything goes awry, he's likely got lots of on-tap alternatives.

Not worth the $-saving to maybe get trapped in a 'can't-go-Baack' state and with nothing else configured, via which to do some sneaker-net SYA. Only 1 OS X machine.
Have allowed self to be seduced by the It Just Works propaganda and I appreciate the amount of lore I haven't had to cram==more time for books and other normalities.

I Hates It that you cannot order this crap on Media; it's not the mere d/l time--it's that you're stupid if you don't immediately make your own bootable copy.
Time/energy waste--for their new profit.
More corporate: "would you like to just do our bills online?" stuff--NO, I want Paper--it's Durable.

Damn.. just rubbed some cat-hair off the tiny vents! on bottom.. time to de-glass and clean the sucker again.
If you've an iMac in mix--do the wet finger along the bottom, check: be surprised/ make fans faster, too (?)

Ugh: disconnecting/driving, standing-around time's a coming :-/

I, sometimes envious of the Luddites--at least their brains are clean (though not the ones whose brains are clean because not-yet used, natch.)
New <Sigh>
Either my Google-Fu is nearly broken (and it very well might be based on my recent Buffalo WiFi issues) and/or Apple's upgrade instructions are nearly worthless. Or both.

So I upgraded a 13" MBP from 10.6.8 (SL) to Lion today. Then I went looking for the Lion Server (server.app) so that I could install Lion on my Mac Mini running SLS. It's gone.

???

<Read various Apple docs about how to upgrade to Mavericks Server...>

None of which help.

Guess what? The instructions about being required to upgrade to Lion before you can upgrade to Mavericks are wrong. You can go directly from 10.6.8 to Mavericks (10.9) now. Once you have Mavericks, you can get the Server add-on for $20 from the App Store.

So now I'm downloading the 5+ GB Mavericks package...

At least nothing seems to have broken on the MBP upgrade...

So Ashton, you're smart in having someone do the upgrade for you, but it may be much easier than I first thought!

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who recognizes that he's still ahead of where he would be with Winders.)
New I've read 40% of Macs are now on Mavericks.
Free is a good thing! :)
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Indeed!
Steve must be spinning in his grave though. ;-) (My recollection is that when he came back to Apple, apparently one of his gripes was that OS upgrades were being given away and not being sold.)

Cheers,
Scott.
     'Noticeboard' on OS X - (Ashton) - (7)
         It's a conduit for messages from Steve Jobs - (scoenye) - (6)
             That makes it eerie, then.. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 I finally downloaded Lion last night. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     I think I'll schlep my box to a local - (Ashton)
                     <Sigh> - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         I've read 40% of Macs are now on Mavericks. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Indeed! - (Another Scott)

Dude, down the hall and to the left. That’s who you want.
46 ms