IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If you have a single device on each WAP, that would work...
I think. I've got an old WiFi-to-Ethernet gizmo that lets me hook up a single Ethernet PC to a 802.11b WiFi network. (I suppose I could connect that to a switch and see if it works - I guess it should. But it'll be slow.)

I want several devices in a room connected to a Ethernet network switch that has reasonably fast wireless as well. Several things in each room will be on the Ethernet, but connections back to the first WAP will be via WiFi. And if I walk in with a WiFi laptop or phone, I'd like a strong signal there. I'd like everything to be on a single network segment, and I'd like to easily be able to see all the machines from any location.

These Buffalo boxes are supposed to be flexible enough to act as WAPs or Bridges or whatever.

In doing some more reading, it looks like what I want is a "Repeater Bridge" - http://www.dd-wrt.co...p/Linking_Routers

Alternatives

Access Point / Switch
Extend the Wireless access area using more routers, with WIRED connections between routers, or turn a wired port on an existing network into a Wireless Access Point. All computers will be on the same network segment, and will be able to see one another in Windows Network.

* Wireless Access Point - Extend Wi-Fi & LAN (Requires physical ethernet connection between routers)
* Switch - Similar config as WAP, but radio disabled (accepts only wired connections)

Repeater / Repeater Bridge
Extend the Wireless access area using a second router WIRELESSLY connected to the primary.

* Repeater Bridge - A wireless repeater with DHCP & NAT disabled, clients on same subnet as host AP (primary router). That is, all computers can see one another in Windows Network.
* Repeater - A wireless repeater with DHCP & NAT enabled, clients on different subnet from host AP (primary router). Computers connected to one router can not see computers connected to other routers in Windows Network.
* Universal Wireless Repeater - Uses a program/script called AutoAP to keep a connection to the nearest/best host AP.

Client / Client Bridge

Connect two wired networks using a WiFi link (WIRELESS connection between two routers).

* Client Bridged - Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers building a bridge. All computers can see one another in Windows Network.
* Client Mode - Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers (unbridged). Computers on one wired network can not see computers on other wired network in Windows Network.

WDS

Extend the Wireless access area using more routers connected WIRELESSLY. WDS is a mesh network.

* WDS Linked router network
* WDS Point To Point (P2P)

OLSR

Extend the Wireless access area using more routers. Extra routers do not need any wired connections to each other. Use several ISP (Internet) connections. OLSR is a mesh network.

* Mesh Networking with OLSR
*[+ OLSR]

Or a "Client Bridged" setup may work (but that sounds like it was designed for the case when the two WAPs were possibly on different subnets. The Buffalo software on the new box wants to set up WDS, but it's terribly opaque to me. I've tried following their instructions, but ended up being unable to talk to the box afterward (let alone get past it to 192.168.0.1).

I'll fight with it more later today.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who may simply need to flash the latest version of DD-WRT on the boxes to take care of the problems...)
New I have daisy chained 4 wireless receivers
turn off dhcp services on 2,3,and 4. My laptops and phones know about all of them, when they connect they are issued an IP from unit1 which acts as a dns server as well. It works just fine. They are all on the same network segment
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Thanks.
Something seems amiss with the DD-WRT software version on this thing. In the WiFi settings there's supposed to be a "Channel" field to pick a WiFi channel to use, but no Channel label or entry field exists. Maybe that's why it seems as if there's no WiFi out of it. :-/ I tried all of the various configuration options - AP/Client/Client-Bridge/etc./etc.

There's a newer version of DD-WRT that I've downloaded, but I don't have time to fight with it now. Maybe next weekend...

In the meantime, I've ordered some dual-band bare bridges (that seem to have some better reviews than the cheapie listed earlier). It's a bit more money, but I'm hoping it'll have less aggravation - http://www.amazon.co...oduct/B0062K5JAI/ . I also ordered a dual-band repeater - http://www.amazon.co...oduct/B0084ZYI88/ Here's hoping these bits are plug-and-play...

All of these things seem to be a crapshoot. Apple (and/or Google) would make a new fortune if they decided to go into home wireless networking business and made stuff that really was plug-and-play for most everyone.

I'll report back with any success.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 1 new 3 < $5 at garage sales, all do 10mb
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New The TRENDnet bridge works great.
http://www.amazon.co...oduct/B0062K5JAI/

I unboxed it, let it warm up to room temperature, turned off WiFi on this laptop, hooked up the Ethernet cable to it and the laptop, plugged the bridge in to its power wart and let it boot up.

Open IE, go to "http://tew-680mb.trendnet" and follow the trivial instructions. Save the settings.

Done.

(The only thing else I had to do was enter the URL again (there's no ".com" at the end), and set the Ethernet card to use DHCP rather than its Static IP.)

It's working great at the moment - dunno how often it will need to be reset, etc., but so far so good.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I hate wireless networking changes. Help? - (Another Scott) - (15)
         It looks like "Client" mode is what I want. - (Another Scott)
         Ick... - (scoenye) - (7)
             Thanks. Options? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Re: Thanks. Options? - (scoenye) - (5)
                     You may be on to something... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         Set up guide - (scoenye) - (3)
                             Thanks! - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 On the channel selector - (scoenye) - (1)
                                     Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         why a bridge? - (boxley) - (5)
             If you have a single device on each WAP, that would work... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 I have daisy chained 4 wireless receivers - (boxley) - (3)
                     Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         1 new 3 < $5 at garage sales, all do 10mb -NT - (boxley)
                         The TRENDnet bridge works great. - (Another Scott)

That's not actually how law works.
65 ms