IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One non-minor quibble
Win 7 on a laptop is a pain in the ass, which is something I had to deal with for 6 months at my previous job.

1) Multiple external displays just don't work well *at all*. At least once a day I would get to the conference room and discover that Windows had left my primary monitor back on the desk, with no way to recover it apart from hiking back and fiddling with the mirroring controls.

2) Switching between wired and wireless networks, ditto. Every time I left the wired connection, if I had a document open on the share I'd get into a fun-filled round of "that document is read only, save it under a different name".

When I left the Windows world again (hopefully for the last time) this January my productivity shot up more than it should have.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: One non-minor quibble
This relates to my work laptop. I don't have W7 on anything at home.

1) I have Nvidia drivers, and my displays behave themselves. YMMV, it seems.
2) Yeah, this is probably fuckery.

One of my big problems with OSX for work-related stuff (when I tried it) is that for better or worse, a lot of people (my organisation, all its customers, all their customers, etc) use Outlook, and Outlook for OS X is arse.

There were weird incompatibilities between Excel for Mac and Excel for Windows, too, usually related to conditional and format-as-table formatting, both of which I use a lot. I don't remember the details but I'm sure that according to the documentation, some of that shit should have worked.

Also, we seem to be sprouting Visio documents all over the place. I hate Visio, and so does your Mac. Omnigraffle is OK for simple stuff (and it's certainly nicer to use than Visio), but anything with any complexity turns into a hot mess.
New Hates the Visio, my Precious
I was using nVidia as well, and it was still pretty much ass.

I've always used PowerPoint for system diagrams, which happily works fine on a Mac.

I haven't had any issues with Excel going back and forth, even with conditional formatting. But yes, stuff happens with compatibility, always.

That said, I just had a chance to use Pages from Mavericks last night, and wow so compatibility very impress. Track changes and everything.
Regards,
-scott
New I hate PowerPoint more than I hate Visio
and that's going some.
New Same here.
After all these years, there are still Mac/Win PPT formatting issues (e.g. with fonts for symbols and the like). LibreOffice is very good these days, but it has the most trouble (for the things I do) in getting PowerPoint formatting exactly right.

I've been fortunate enough not to have to use Outlook or Visio, so 1 > 0. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New The main saving grace: command-Z
I've had Visio refuse to undo itself after completely destroying a document with a single move of an object.

At least PowerPoint's undo actually works.
Regards,
-scott
     64GB Microsoft Surface RT Tablet (Refurbished) - (Ashton) - (19)
         Can't give 'em away - (scoenye)
         What scoeyne said. - (static) - (17)
             So then, this FAIL shall forever be Ballmer's Legacy? (Good) - (Ashton) - (16)
                 Not really - (pwhysall) - (15)
                     Guess I'm not up to the cognitive dissonance - (Ashton) - (11)
                         No dissonance - (pwhysall) - (10)
                             re. 'Not really sure what you're driving at here.' Really? - (Ashton) - (9)
                                 2nd doze box in 3 years - (boxley)
                                 I don't spend any time "keeping it running". - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                     Thanks, I appreciate your informed (and er, granular!) POV - (Ashton)
                                     One non-minor quibble - (malraux) - (5)
                                         Re: One non-minor quibble - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                             Hates the Visio, my Precious - (malraux) - (3)
                                                 I hate PowerPoint more than I hate Visio - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                     Same here. - (Another Scott)
                                                     The main saving grace: command-Z - (malraux)
                     Nah - (crazy) - (1)
                         This is why - (pwhysall)
                     The finance guys on Wall Street didn't much care for him... - (Another Scott)

Last night my friend asked to use a USB port to charge his cigarette, but I was using it to charge my book. The future is stupid.
102 ms