IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've looked for and not found...
A nicely done web page of the original "A CULT OF IGNORANCE" Newsweek article by Asimov from January 21, 1980 on page 19.

So here is one. I hope it looks good. I used CSS for everything, no crappy tables or schtuff like that. No standalone elements... spans for font treaments and so on.

I tried to make it readable... though I haven't yet decided if the "justified" alignment works or not. The original article was...

Anyway: http://www.gregfolke...OF_IGNORANCE.html

This particular article is *EXACTLY* what i was trying to explain to a young enough but malleable person... though he isn't quite a s skeptical as I am... he is learning.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Thanks.. quite legible indeed.
Couldn't be much saner (or clearer) I wot, but then I read == I elite (oft pronounced as "e-light" by those who disdain the very thought of Thinking.
Reminds me that another wide-ranging writer (also sci-fi, but other genres too) was an effective iconoclast:

Philip Wylie. Probably his Generation of Vipers, wherein he coined the term Momism, will be the first association most people have (if they have any at all.)

Wiki http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Philip_Wylie

A writer of fiction and nonfiction, his output included hundreds of short stories, articles, serials, syndicated newspaper columns, novels, and works of social criticism. He also wrote screenplays while in Hollywood, was an editor for Farrar & Rinehart, served on the Dade County, Florida Defense Council, was a director of the Lerner Marine Laboratory, and at one time was an adviser to the chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee for Atomic Energy which led to the creation of the Atomic Energy Commission.[1] Most of his major writings contain critical, though often philosophical, views on man and society as a result of his studies and interest in psychology, biology, ethnology, and physics. Over nine movies were made from novels or stories by Wylie. He sold the rights for two others that were never produced.

His wide range of interests defies easy classification but his earliest books exercised great influence in twentieth-century science fiction pulp magazines and comic books:

Gladiator (1930) partially inspired the comic-book character Superman.
The Savage Gentleman (1932) may have had some inspiration on the pulp-fiction character Doc Savage.
When Worlds Collide (1933), co-written with Edwin Balmer, inspired Alex Raymond's comic strip Flash Gordon, as well as being adapted as a 1951 film by producer George Pal.
He applied engineering principles and the scientific method quite broadly in his work. His novel The Disappearance (1951) is about what happens when everyone wakes up one day and finds that all members of the opposite sex are missing (all the men have to get along without women, and vice versa). The book delves into the double standards between men and women that existed prior the woman's movement of the 1970s, exploring the nature of the relationship between men and women and the issues of women's rights and homosexuality. Many people at the time considered it as relevant to science fiction as his Experiment in Crime.

During World War II, writing The Paradise Crater (1945) resulted in his house arrest by the federal government; in it, he described a post-WWII 1965 Nazi conspiracy to develop and use uranium-237 bombs,[2] months before the first successful atomic test at Alamagordo – the most highly classified secret of the war.[3] His nonfiction book of essays, Generation of Vipers (1942), was a best-seller during the 1940s and inspired the term "Momism". Some people have accused Generation of Vipers of being misogynistic. The Disappearance shows his thinking on the subject is very complex.

[. . .]

Both have a message to be spread around.
Pretty interesting pedigree, eh? Talkin about U-237 [a rather ho-hum beta, gamma emitter] "occurred to him" so near to Alamogordo.
What did he Know and when did he.. ....

And to be the Father of Superman, inspire Flash Gordon..
At least 'Momism' stirred the pot, though clearly few were ready to entertain the implications. In 1942.
Unclear if Asimov's Point ever got past those 'elites'-who-read and into whatever oxygen isotope reaches the mouth-breathers who forever disdain that egghead stuff.

Great! that some young'uns will pay sufficient attention to the myths they've been fed, when exposed to the thought that: 'they bloody-well should!'
Luck with that; I rarely encounter (in these parts) any of the inquisitive sort, alas.
(I always await, First: a Question being asked.. otherwise it's just preaching, etc. Save breath.)

Had a chance once to give a copy of Lightning Calculus to a grocery checker who had revealed a math hint.. sometimes you win one.
So many promising seeds going unwatered, immersed in Murican Idle noise ... as the little grey cells wither in infancy.
New Missing "the"
That's (insert "the" here) funniest buzzword ever invented because people who are not members of the intellectual elite don't know what an "elitist" is, or how to pronounce the word.
New Found it...
Under Honest Effort

...admit that the know how to read...
New Ahhh yes. The missing "y"
And It read just like they...

I miss a lot of "r" on the end of your... so I looked for that extensively.

Oops, looks like my missing "y" is about the same now that I think about it.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Done
I read through that forwards and backwards... never saw the missing "the"
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New tl;dr
;-)
New Re: ts;dr
Of course, you know that ain't the truth.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Thanks for providing the complete context for the quote...
I've been using recently.
Alex

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Believe it or not...
That quote caught my attention and I went searching for it.

That was just after you started using it.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New typo "one of those elitist subject_s_"
--

Drew
New Thanks.
Fixed.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Nice. Thanks for putting it out there.
     I've looked for and not found... - (folkert) - (12)
         Thanks.. quite legible indeed. - (Ashton)
         Missing "the" - (crazy) - (3)
             Found it... - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Ahhh yes. The missing "y" - (folkert)
             Done - (folkert)
         tl;dr - (crazy) - (1)
             Re: ts;dr -NT - (folkert)
         Thanks for providing the complete context for the quote... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Believe it or not... - (folkert)
         typo "one of those elitist subject_s_" -NT - (drook) - (1)
             Thanks. - (folkert)
         Nice. Thanks for putting it out there. -NT - (Another Scott)

Specifically, why is he still allowed to make them?
58 ms