practical. I may still have, in garage somewhere, a hand-made screw for some place in a Bugatti engine of ~ that vintage.
Passed on by a friend who had worked on one or a few. 'Hand'-made yes, but Accurately.
(I never discovered why he needed that exact pitch/thread-depth etc. as was nonstandard for the times
--it may even have had to do with its material/tensile strength in some awkward location; Just a WAG.)

Same person had hand-scraped new babbitt, poured within the square holes in block, wherein the valve tappets resided:
E.B. had calculated that the usual/ez round config. made for wasted metal ergo rocking-mass ... thus larger holes for the 1-direction nature of the forces involved.
Clearly a trade off: reduced er, 'unsprung weight', more metal to make the block area stronger.. all useful plusses for the added labor, I think we can see.

We won't see that sort of work again; the absence of dedicated apprentices alone ... guarantees that.
But it was lovely to see/hold just one tiny example of a subtle physics-savvy genius of yore :-)

Concur about direction of Leno's tastes; he could scrape up the cash for either Veyron model, I wot.
(Not just because I share that direction too; his designation of the Shadow as the first Superbike, puts us on same wavelength.)
He understands about.. stable torque being über alles, whatever the 'BHP'.
Shadow: 'TFFO' for many, still.. I could manage it, whereas many models of New Stuff (cycles too) ARE T.F. [for. ANY] OWNER.
IMnsHO. :-0