IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting.
I got an Otterbox for our first iPad (v1). It seemed to offer a lot of protection, but it was big and heavy and expensive. The idea of using something like that on a phone seemed counterproductive (it would make it harder to put in a pocket, for one thing).

I've got our Nexus 4 in a thin generic leather flip-cover like this (but not this exact item) - http://www.amazon.co...us/dp/B000LGAF0I/ . It's Ok, but not ideal.

I've thought about what I would use if I got a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini or similar and hadn't found something that I was happy with. The Cruzerlite TPU case looks like it might be a good compromise. http://www.amazon.co...el/dp/B00EDNK64A/

Thanks for mentioning it!

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is a (real) 'Packaging Engineer' design task--
as re Tektronix and their drop-tests on packaged instruments (have mentioned that the UPS guy who came out here a couple times Was a real P.Engr.)

As with packaging heads (cycle helmets and such) I'd think that plastic foam of different crush-rate layers would be the lightest and maybe least bulky direction
--even if (as with helmets) you should replace one after it has done its work.
A thin veneer of rosewood or Unicorn-feathers could do the styling disguise.

(Considering the hi-tech of phones, it seems antediluvian to make some bulky hard-platic box when what you want is ABSORPTION/crush-rate.)
What you Don't want is any rigid/bulletproof outer case with no such thought given to its innards.
I heard that F=MA, so a tiny accelerometer in a dummy case is all the test. eq. needed.

Should I patent one?
New Absolutely! Patent away!
:-)

Of course, it's a tough hill to climb - the folks making cases no doubt have already patented the obvious (and many not so obvious) things... Accelerometers were important in things with hard drives - dunno if they'll help in protection for things with Flash RAM these days. Maybe if you tied an accelerometer into a phase change material that would go from hard to soft when it senses it is falling. ;-)

The Otterbox Defender claims to address issues like that and have multiple layers to cover the various functional needs. But when you don't need those various protections (99% of the time), it gets in the way.

http://www.otterbox....cgid=ipad-2-cases - $90 for the iPad v2 version (they don't sell the v1 version any more). :-/

If one is willing to spend $90 for a case, one probably has AppleCare+ for it as well ($99 ($90 at Amazon) + $50 for each incident (up to 2) for 2 years total coverage). AC+ might be a better value than the case. And there's things like SquareTrade with roughly similar damage coverage (maybe?) for an additional year for a similar price (but no deductible).

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I was imprecise..
re accelerometer, meant only: for testing of your scheme.
Clearly one needs One important datum:
How-many-Gs' is Max allowed before the weakest (physical) link is trashed.?
(This is apt to be a different value for various angles-of-impact
--and nobody may have spent more than $10 exploring the matter.)

Then set a "max-height above cement floor" which your device will permit, excluding your throwing the sucker at a wall, say.
The rest is pretty simple concept, testing, execution, then surveying IF the bulk is Worth the safety -vs- paying the Insurance (#s you mentioned.)

One thing is clear: I haven't seen an Otterbox, but if they are transmitting drop-shock directly to a phone
--sans obvious physics of 'crumple-rate' of substances: they are certifiably Incompetent.

Rest case.. er, case-about Cases. This stuff is fucking-Obvious, innit?
(And ya Can't 'patent' physics ... unless Patent Law IS as fubar as oft reputed.)
New I suspect ...
Phones are packed so tight, with so much on a single board, that the screen is far and away the most fragile piece. I've never heard/read a report of a phone being killed by a drop that it wasn't the screen that failed.
--

Drew
     I R PHONE MURDERAR! - (pwhysall) - (14)
         Ouchie. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Cases are key -NT - (jake123) - (2)
             It had one - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 That's what I didn't like about a lot of Galaxy reviews - (drook)
         I have a tempered glass screen protector on all of my phones -NT - (Bman) - (1)
             for when you lose your temper? -NT - (crazy)
         Huh... bummer. - (folkert) - (7)
             Interesting. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 This is a (real) 'Packaging Engineer' design task-- - (Ashton) - (3)
                     Absolutely! Patent away! - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         I was imprecise.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             I suspect ... - (drook)
             Was it a "Defender" or a "Commuter"? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Re: Was it a "Defender" or a "Commuter"? - (folkert)

As seen on TV!
81 ms