IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh wow...
I am watching the Bill Nye and Ken Ham debate.

http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

WELL REASONED, RESEARCHED AND EDUCATED IGNORANCE FROM KEN HAM!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Excellent. Thanks for the linky!
New This sort of thing is totally futile.
Psychological studies have shown that a believer, faced with convincing evidence his or her belief is wrong, will believe more strongly than before the evidence was presented.
New I don't think the beliebers are the intended audience
for Bill Nye. I think he's hoping that a bunch of people will wake up and realise that there's a large well-funded group of people who are trying to take the American people into peasantry justified by "religion".
New That sounds ~ right, but I can never get head around
how it is that these Back to the MII Century preachers imagine that they can get people to unlearn everything picked-up over the thousand years since..

That is, in order to peddle their wares, they have learned how to manipulate the under-informed psychologically as necessary, yet fail to notice
that only a tiny minority will actually surrender modern improvements in all aspects of daily living--for something as evanescent as ... just-plain-Goodness?

(But they've surely been successful in teaching them how to screw-up as much as possible of that basic cooperation necessary to create any society worth living-in.)
'Course too.. so did the earlier fascists (whom they realize-not that they emulate.)

I get so confused by the random bugs in homo-sap Std-issue jelloware.
New PZ live blogged it...
(IIRC, he's debated Ham a few times himself, but gave it up because he thought it became pointless. But the portion I saw with Nye was excellent.)

http://freethoughtbl...ye-ham-spectacle/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nice Editorial!
Would have been better to have PZ Myers...

But he would have never accepted a challenge.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Nye was good. But, yup, been there, done that.
Not Ham, but a fellow traveler - http://scienceblogs....man-myers-debate/

Cheers,
Scott.
New This has overwhelmed the GOOG's YouTube infrastructure...
They cannot sustain the sheer throughput demands.

I can't watch it after the fact and was cut off so many times during the live debate... it wasn't even funny.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New My thoughts after percolating.
Ken didn't defend/define why Creationism is viable, he just quoted the bible, which was not the charter of the debate. He also ignores about 95% of evidence and considers it not needed. And... He takes the Bible literally... except when he does't... by his own admittance. You know because we weren't there. Oh and how about what police investigations do into murders... they weren't there, yet he recognizes their authority and method.

Bill was a Buffon initially. He kept God out of it... but drew Politics and the government into it. He was very good at looking at thing from a perspective of defending/proving Evolution viable following the charter of the debate. He did try to keep Ken off balance...

Ken really is very practiced and versed (pun in not intentional) and nearly inflexible in his responses, responses were very over-arching and very "Bible-Bible-Bible-Bible-Bible" (refer to the Badger Song)... Presenting not very much real evidence except "Faith based" reasoning... which to be honest, is not enough.

Bill... he did a good job in his responses, except he fumbled a lot... and someone like PZ Myers would have been a *MUCH* *MUCH* better candidate than Bill in there.

Over all, Ken gets creationism in the mind share eyes, but didn't actually stick to the debate charter, cherry picked extreme examples and "proved atheists are scared of him." Bill talked about Bow ties and IMO very nonsensical about at times, but got his message across, though stumbled a lot. But did get some really good jabs in there that Ken ignored.

Question from the Audience... (except for the favorite color question) were not answered in anyway with well qualified manner from either participant.

All in all: Neither side presented good enough data nor in a convincing manner to "Win." Nor did either side present well enough to sway the other side in the least. Neither did either side find anything really wrong with their own sides data/presentation. Even though they were both horrid for their own reasons.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
     Oh wow... - (folkert) - (9)
         Excellent. Thanks for the linky! -NT - (Another Scott)
         This sort of thing is totally futile. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             I don't think the beliebers are the intended audience - (jake123) - (1)
                 That sounds ~ right, but I can never get head around - (Ashton)
         PZ live blogged it... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Nice Editorial! - (folkert) - (1)
                 Nye was good. But, yup, been there, done that. - (Another Scott)
         This has overwhelmed the GOOG's YouTube infrastructure... - (folkert)
         My thoughts after percolating. - (folkert)

And so on, and so forth.
52 ms